• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 TSMG28

TSMG28

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 420 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 10:54 AM

Thanks, PK. The more time I spend with Thompsons, the more I learn. Looks like that safety is a keeper!

Have the trigger frames on all of the IMA 1928 kits had their serial number removed and changed? What about the M1A1 kits?

Roger

#22 Tiger Bay

Tiger Bay

• Regular Group
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 03:33 PM

Neither the M1A1 nor the '28 kits I received had the serial numbers ground off. I have more on the way. Will keep y'all posted.

#23 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

• Regular Group
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 09:09 PM

I ordered an M1A1 parts kit from IMA a few weeks ago and received it today.
It's in average condition with the finish on the parts nearly gone, except for the bolt, which is in pretty good condition. The bore is in good condition also. The wood has very little dings and no cracks. The interesting part is the trigger frame, which has the serial #14410 clearly marked under the stock and beneath the trigger guard. A very distict "R" is marked inside the magazine guide, along with the usual Savage "S" mark. It also has the flat, plain type paddle safety and selector switches. I guess that this means that it was once an M1 later converted to M1A1. Anyway... I thought that I should let you all know.

#24 Grumpy

Grumpy

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 272 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 12:28 AM

Hi Guys,
Did all the M1 sets you guys got have a reinforcing band on the grip?
Bill

#25 Tiger Bay

Tiger Bay

• Regular Group
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 08:44 AM

I had another '28 set come in and some M1A1s. These are not as nice as my previous ones. The '28 kit is in very good condition, although I don't think it was unfired like the last one. The serial number was not ground off, but the compensator is canted about 20 degrees off center!? Smooth paddle levers. Savage lower. No bolt stock. Bright bolt. Smooth actuator.

These M1A1s basically have no finish. The good thing though, is that the metal is in very good condition with hardly any pitting- probably due to the tons of cosmoline all over everything. Half of the kits had barrel bands, half of them didn't. The bores were still very good. Pinned levers. One lower had a second serial number stamped on it.

I also got an adjustable Lyman sight. It was in excellent condition with no rust or pitting.

Mike

#26 Tiger Bay

Tiger Bay

• Regular Group
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 08:58 AM

I don't know about anybody else, but when that box comes and I start to open it, I feel like a kid at Christmas, not knowing what I'm going to get, but excited with anticipation. I know exactly what's in the box- Thompson parts, but what little surprises await? Will they be unfired? Maybe a Colt part or two? A barrel band with an elusive manufacture stamp? Some kind of unique stamp or marking on a barrel or frame? Then after I have examined all of the parts and I think I'm done... oh yeah, gotta check those stocks! Maybe someone left an oiler in one!

The best find that I came across in a parts kit was a few years ago. It was an M1A1 kit and they were to come with a 30 round magazine. When I rooted through the box, low and behold, I found a Colt 20 rounder!

Mike

#27 brian

brian

• Regular Group
  • 345 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 03:43 PM

and how much are these '28 kits?
i'm suddenly feeling an urge in my wallet, one that i've not felt in a while....

#28 Grumpy

Grumpy

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 272 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 04:23 PM

Brian,
The 1928 kits are $999.00 plus $15.00 additional shipping on top of the standard $6.50. Item number XU1929. The M1A1 sets are $450.00 plus $15.00, etc. Item number MU1609.
Thinking of ordering a M1 set to go along with the '28 set I got. Don't want to miss out on these like I did when IMA had Browning 1917A1 MG sets!
Bill