Check Out 3/2006 Issue Of Small Arms Review

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bounty1

Bounty1

• Regular Group
  • 130 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 10:46 AM

Really good article in March 06 issue of Small Arms Review on maintenance of drums for Thompsons, by Tracie Hill. Goes into how to take apart a Thompson drum as far as it can be done by average guy for proper maintenance, cleaning, and troubleshooting.

#2 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 06:47 PM

Can you post the basics?

Did they break it down past removing the rotor?

#3 Bounty1

Bounty1

• Regular Group
  • 130 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 08:29 PM

I will try to post the basics tomorrow, as it will take a little time to type it in. May be a bit difficult, as there are pictures too. I don't know if I could have figured it out without the photos to go along with the text, but I'll give it a go. There may be something on the net where the article might be found. I haven't had a chance to see if that's true.
He gets to the point of lubricating the rotor spring(s) but I get the impression from the tone of the article that going beyond that point is really a job for a pro. It states: "When it becomes necessary to restore a drum, please get in touch with a good gunsmith. Not Billy-Bob who has a parkerizing tank at the hardware store.
Thankfully, there are some very good gunsmiths. One of the best that I have seen in restoration is Merle F. Bitikofer. He has the talent and the skills to replace the rotor springs and repair almost any damage. He is the only person I know of that has repeatedly repaired West Hurley C drums to functioning drums....."
Tomorrow, I'll post his address and that of 2 other smiths he mentioned in the article who can do this kind of work.

#4 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:32 PM

Bad New: My wife went out shopping at the Mall. sad.gif

Good News: Had her stop at BAM to pick me up a copy of SAR. cool.gif