• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:26 AM

Who has replaced their barrel with one from a parts kit?

If so, did the front sight on the compensator align correctly or did you find the pin had to be removed and the compensator reset once the barrel was added?

#2 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2415 posts
  • Interests:Thompson SMG, WWII, Firearms in general.

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (JimFromFL @ Feb 23 2006, 10:26 AM)
Who has replaced their barrel with one from a parts kit?

If so, did the front sight on the compensator align correctly or did you find the pin had to be removed and the compensator reset once the barrel was added?

Jim,

The odds are pretty slim that your compensator is going to line up if you replace the barrel. Some of the parts kits guns were refurbished before shipping overseas for Lend-Lease. Look at the receiver stub and barrel witness mark on the parts you just received and see if they line up. If they do, your parts kit probably had the original barrel. If it doesn't, it's likely the barrel was replaced when the gun was rebuilt.

You will have to have the compensator repositioned and repinned after installing the new barrel to the proper torque.

#3 OldFalGuy

OldFalGuy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 700 posts
  • Interests:Sporting Clays, Skeet, Reloading and just plain Living

Posted 23 February 2006 - 06:03 PM

As an aside, What benefit would one derive from replacing a a nearly new (300rds) WH barrel with one from a parts kit that is like new also?

And would it enable one to use the Ceiner 22 kit as I understand one of the problems found was the fit/position of the 22 barrel insert .

I realize the barrel alone may not be 100% of the problem but am not aware what the others roadblocks are and whether these problems can be solved by PK with some receiver work? I have a couple of extra barrels and the odds of it getting shot out in 2 lifetimes as often as I get to shoot appears rather remote.

Mark

#4 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:14 PM

The unthreaded boss for the ring sight is tapered, not the threaded boss for the Cutts.

#5 ClevelandShooter

ClevelandShooter

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Class 3,Beer, VietNam era small arms, Beer, Harley-Davidson's, Beer, and as Car and driver once said "Torque and Recoil"

Posted 26 February 2006 - 02:26 PM

If you find a compentent machinist he will be able to change your barrel without removing the sight. My guy is retired and just does it for us old guys. But any machinist that can properly install a Garand barrel can handle this.It is all about timing and I've seen it done and done right. About 2 to 3 hrs work with bs'ing included.
MY .02
Bill OUT

#6 reconbob

reconbob

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 2284 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 02:45 PM

My experience/opinion is that when Thompsons were made at the factory the barrels
were screwed on tight, THEN the front sight or actuator was mounted in the proper
position and drilled and pinned. If you ever look at true mint condition parts - barrels
have no recess for a front sight pin, front sights for both plain and compensators are
not yet drilled for the pin, and neither are the compensators. Since a Thompson barrel
has no gas port, sight base or extractor cut (like say, a Garand) there is no requirement
to precisely locate the barrel - it was all done at assembly.
I know just about all barrels have draw marks at roughly 9:00 o,clock and "P" proof
marks at top dead center, but these seem to be approximate not exact locations. Most
draw marks I have seen (1000's) are not exactly right.
I have dealt with this in attempts to qualify the thread for the receivers we make. Its
not too tough in this age of computers to start the thread anywhere you want. But I
have never found a set up that is correct for all, or even most barrels i.e. - when you
screw the barrel on tight the sight is in the right spot. Right when you think you have
it figured out, along comes a batch of barrels that get tight with the sight way off. So
in my opinion and experience, its random, in spite of draw marks, proof marks, and
sights and compensators....
as the saying goes my $0.02...

Bob

#7 OldFalGuy

OldFalGuy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 700 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:31 PM

AS far as removing the WH comps-

I just noticed that mine is real loose will turn from 12 to 2 o'clock with 2 fingers and will actually turn back to about 11:45 (not straight up)

What might be the cure for this??

PK, still can't figure out why I can't receive email from you???

I would like to swap this barrel out for one in a kit and make some other cosmetic changes at the same time.

Mark

#8 First Sergeant

First Sergeant

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 757 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:50 PM

I probably got lucky when I swapped my WH barrel for a new one from kit. The WH barrel unscrewed with ease and the new barrel lined up at 60 degrees. A friend has a metal lathe and we turned tiny amounts of metal off at a time from the fin closest to the chamber. We were able to line up the sight perfectly when tightened. No headspace problems and the gun runs 100% like it did with the WH barrel. Again , I feel I was lucky and I'm sure others will disagree with this methond but it worked for me. The gun even looks better now with a WWII barrel.

Good Luck if you try it.....

Chuck

#9 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:29 PM

Mark,

I don’t know either, I’ve got 3 or 4 returned that I’m saving so if we do find a solution I can forward them and answer your questions.

#10 OldFalGuy

OldFalGuy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 700 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:23 AM

I check the junk mail folder everytime before I empty it just to be sure but I think what is happeneing is a the server level not letting PK's mail through- mine will get to him so its my end that is funky. I no longer use the auto update feature on anything related to Outlook or MS- there is always something affected that makes a mess for me. Currently no matter what I do I can not search from my address bar even though that is checked in the IE program- go figure.

Mark