Hollywood And Actuators

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:08 AM

I was watching a re-run of "Oh Broth Where Art Thou," and I noticed the Babyface kept pulling the actuator back even though the gun was operating fine. Is that something Hollywood recommends for more action? Is there ever a need to do that, other than for chambering or clearing?

#2 anticus

anticus

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 578 posts
  • Interests:History, ancient coins, antiques of all descriptions.

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:33 AM

It's a union requirement of the Screen Actuators Guild wink.gif

#3 hawksnest

hawksnest

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1006 posts
  • Interests:Class III weapons

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:02 AM

It is also how they reload the "M" drum without removing it from the gun. popcorn.gif

#4 Tman

Tman

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 488 posts
  • Interests:Firearms, in general

Posted 28 February 2006 - 10:20 AM

It goes along with the requirement to manually cock a double action pistol before sticking it in someones face. tongue.gif

#5 Hawkeye_Joe

Hawkeye_Joe

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2486 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 01:10 PM

Or to pull your service pistol and rack the slide just before entering a house. That looks so damn stupid.
Could have been that it was not functioning as well as it sounded like it was. Remember that the sound fx still work even when the gun doesn't fire. (Eddie Murphy firing a locked back semi-auto pistol in "Beverly Hills Cop II.... "BANG!!")

#6 Zamm

Zamm

Respected Member & Artist

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, and all their goodies!<br>Obsolete Victorian Photomechanical processes,<br>Etching, Engraving and all Printmaking,<br>Entomology, specializing in Coleoptera,<br>Arachnology, specializing in Theraphosidae.

Posted 28 February 2006 - 02:04 PM

Sgt,
Could be blank missfire/non-chambered?? The darn thing has to be
closed in order to pull back... hmmmm,
I've been wondering about that myself, seen it in a few flicks.
Z

#7 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 28 February 2006 - 03:54 PM

Great answers, all! The one I'm still scratching my head over is in the Bruce Willis movie, "Last Man Standing," where Willis uses two 1911s in rapid fire against a ganster dumping an "L" drum. In the middle of the fire fight Willis drops the two mags out of his guns, but which hand does he use to reload them?

#8 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 28 February 2006 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE (Sgt @ Feb 28 2006, 03:54 PM)
Great answers, all! The one I'm still scratching my head over is in the Bruce Willis movie, "Last Man Standing," where Willis uses two 1911s in rapid fire against a ganster dumping an "L" drum. In the middle of the fire fight Willis drops the two mags out of his guns, but which hand does he use to reload them?

Does the L Croft trick and and slams them on from the side holsters....

#9 Jay Baker

Jay Baker

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 499 posts
  • Interests:Firearms, history, science fiction, old movies.

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:31 PM

Goes along with racking the slide on a pump shotgun. Happens everytime... a guy goes into a dangerous situation with a loaded shotgun but waits until he encounters the bad guy before chambering a load????? banghead.gif

#10 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3453 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:05 PM

Check out the the roof sequence in "From Here To Eternity" where BAR's sans magazines are being fired at Zeroes.

#11 35divmp

35divmp

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:WWII reenacting, shooting my Savage M1 Thompson (my wife wants one too!), and playing with my kids!

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE (Sgt @ Feb 28 2006, 03:54 PM)
The one I'm still scratching my head over is in the Bruce Willis movie, "Last Man Standing," where Willis uses two 1911s in rapid fire against a ganster dumping an "L" drum.

The part of that movie I'm scratching my head is when the ganster leans over the stairs, fires an entire drum at Willis, Willis shoots him, the gangster falls down the stairs, and lo and behold, there's not a single bullet hole in the floor or a single spent shell casing anywhere in sight!

Must be some of those "magic" bullets!

Jay

p.s. It should be noted that this is the second remake of the classic Japanese samurai movie "Yojimbo," where a stranger comes out of nowhere into a town run by two rival criminal families, he proceeds to kill everyone and walks out of town muttering, "Now maybe there'll be some peace in this town."
The first remake was "A Fistfull of Dollars" staring Clint Eastwood.
Watch all three movies and you'll see what I mean.

Edited by 35divmp, 28 February 2006 - 08:07 PM.

#12 Hawkeye_Joe

Hawkeye_Joe

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2486 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 10:07 AM

Yep.. and the "Magnificent Seven" was a re-make of "The Seven Samurai".

I still say that watching a guy go up to a door and get ready to enter it and pulling out his Beretta and jacking the slide is the dumbest. slap.gif I've seen that happen the most.

And how many rounds did that chick have in those auto Glocks in "Transporter 2"?? (another case of two guns, two dropped mags and rapid reload)

#13 M1tommygun

M1tommygun

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:Military history especially WW2. Firearms. Some aviation and muscle cars.

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:21 AM

In the beginning of the movie "The Shadow" there are several bad guys shooting revolvers, but there is the unmistakable sound of brass hitting the floor at the same time. That was one of the first things I noticed, and I am still scratching my head as to where they got the autoloading revolvers.

Another dumb scene I saw was in another pathetically bad Jean Claud Van Dammit movie where one of the characters he plays picks up a Beretta from a bad guy (who was firing it beforehand) and racks the slide ejecting a 'live' round so he could continue to fire.

How about racking a shotgun round with one hand, pump shotgun that is. I guesss it is for the 'cool' effect. I think it is still dumb.

Scott