Philidelphia Ordince

I was wondering if anyone had delt with Philly Ordince before, all I seem to get is voicemail on a long distance call... Left my name and number but haven't heard back yet. I want a stand in for my back ordered Richardson recever but can't bring myself to spend money on Aluminum....

Just wondering if I'm too impatient or their having a bad day.

BB

Try to be patient, the owner is the machinist and has a real full time job in addition to the Philly ord biz. Its hard to explain to customers that you can't always do everything at once but its true......

He does fantastic work at a more than reasonable price. He also does the different receivers in batches so it may be awhile before he gets to the one you want. Just make sure you tell him you want it when he calls....

Leave a message on his machine and he will call at some point.

Frank

I placed an order with them way back before I ever joined this board to make a dummy outta my parts kit. I ordered it COD as it was the best option at that time of my life. I called several times and e-mailed, the e-mail would get answered with the statement that they were behind and a new production run would be about a month away. I would wait and after a month ask again, same basic answer. So I started shopping for one on evilbay, I finally found some coming up and got one, for a higher price than what Phil Ord was charging for retail... guess who was selling them???? You got it .. the guy from Phil Ord. He was skipping over his orders in place and putting them on Ebay because of the higher return. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/slap.gif

One more thing, I never cancelled my order with him.. and I have never gotten that ordered receiver either.

If the place were on fire I wouldn't pee on it... but I'm not mad or anything...

Got a reply, 10 - 12 weeks, ouch.... not what I wanted but seans how I've waited for my Richardson recever for 3+ years now...

BB

QUOTE (Bisley45 @ Mar 3 2006, 06:42 PM)
Got a reply, 10 - 12 weeks, ouch.... not what I wanted but seans how I've waited for my Richardson recever for 3+ years now...

BB

I know where there is a RR for 1.4K if you are interested....

Update on Phila Ordnance - From Bob Bower - the owner/operator. First let me clear up two recent posts. I do not sell on ebay. Back in May 2005 ebay banned me because I listed a Thompson firing pin gage. (How do all those guys selling Thompson parts get away with it?) So this claim that I bypass customers on my list for a higher return on ebay is a lie and a cheap shot and I challenge whoever posted that to prove it or retract it. Also, I run my shop full time. Its all I do. I do not have another job. If you call and get the answering system its because I am on the phone talking to people from all over the country who call to ask about everything from parts sets to receiver manufacture, engineering, and metallurgy, and how come their gun doesn't work. I work, generally speaking from 10:00AM EST until 8:00-9:00PM. The best time to call is in the evening after the daytime rush. I return all phone calls, and when I do, sometimes I get answering machines, busy signals, or just dead air.

The recent influx of parts sets being sold by mass-market retailers (Sportmen's Guide, Atlanta Cutlery, etc.) in addition to the usual gun guys has brought many new people into the Thompson hobby. People are ordering receivers faster than I have ever experienced, and I am doing my best to keep up. As you all know the procedure for buying one of my receivers is to get on my list - no deposit, no obligation - and when I work my way down to you I contact you and if you still want the receiver I will then accept payment or process your credit card. I do not take or require any money until we ship. I handle this on a first come first served basis. Right now I am telling people 10-12 weeks. The receivers I just shipped went to guys who waited approx 3 months.

I appreciate all of you Thompson guys that buy and collect my receivers. I have made thousands of these 80% machined receivers now, and the quality, fit, and finish is better than ever. For many, many years we have made the receivers from 4130 steel - the best, toughest, and strongest steel ever used for Thompsons. Philadelphia Ordnance made true G.I. (as opposed to West Hurley) quality shooting Thompsons in 1986 when our production was stopped by the then-new law, and the "80%" receiver was born. We did get some guns out there and they are all going strong 20 years later. We now offer engraving and the patent numbers. For those of you who may be interested, once I catch up I plan to start making "100%" receivers for those who qualify to purchase them. Bob Bower/Philly O

I posted that about my order with you. I'm no liar nor do I take cheap shots, no one here has ever seen me do that....and I will not start a pissing contest "he said she said" on this board. I do know that I ordered a receiver from you and I've never gotten it. You haven't "worked down the list" to me in 3 years. The receiver I bought off of ebay came/was shipped from you. My ebay payment went to you. That's a fact and I'll stand behind that statement. I don't have the record or the date since it was nearly three years ago. That's all I have to say about it.

The receiver was a good one and I was glad to get it at the time. It was to be made into a semi until I saw that there would be no way to do it with my limited skills and the BATFE would not pass it anyway (learned that in here). I have since sold it to deerslayer for him to make a post sample out of for his own enjoyment.

Update:

In an early post I said Philadelphia Ordnance did not return my call - turns out they actually did. My daughter took the message but forgot to tell me.

I have spoken to Bob and he was very helpful. He's sending emails showing samples of the receiver and the engraving.

Bob, I apologize for the misunderstanding - it was clearly my fault.

Greg Fox