Photo
- - - - -

Split the Thompson Boards?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Poll: Should each model Thompson have its own separate message board?? (71 member(s) have cast votes)

Should each model Thompson have its own separate message board??

1. YES - Create a new forum for each model. (7 votes [11.86%])

Percentage of vote: 11.86%

2. No - Leave as is dummy!! (52 votes [88.14%])

Percentage of vote: 88.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 JDH

JDH

• Regular Group
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:WW2 USGI Militaria, hotrods and Harleys.

Posted 18 July 2003 - 09:06 AM

I read all posts and like the board the way it is. I live in the Class 3 challenged state of Washington so I own semi-auto Thompsons. I've gotten help from some of the full squirt guys here that may not have seen my requests for help if they were forced to choose between an FA or SA board due to time constraints on the net. My opinion, FWIW.

#22 TSMG28

TSMG28

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 419 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 10:31 AM

Nick,

I voted NO because, as others have said, I think a board for each model would be difficult for you and us. However, I can see value to separating the FA and SA posts. I tend to check everything anyway, but my prime interest is FA at this time.

#23 First Sergeant

First Sergeant

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 758 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 12:17 PM

Nick,

Keep it the way it is. I voted no but decline to call you a dummy......far from it. Thanks for the option of voting. I agree with Lionhart, let the votes decide.

Chuck

#24 Poprivit

Poprivit

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 01:02 PM

Let's leave it as it is. Nick has enough to do - what with riding that rice burner, running the boards and selling T-shirts. He doesn't need to work two boards.
Ps. I ride a Kawi and a V-Rod. cool.gif [SIZE=7]

#25 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4606 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 18 July 2003 - 03:13 PM

Poprivit,
What kind of Kaw do you have? I had a KZ 1300 for a while and loved it. Nothing like seeing a 6 cylinder shaft drive bike stand up on the rear tire!Now my Ultra Classic won't do that, but that sure was fun and fast. Kind of miss those days.
user posted image

#26 hawksnest

hawksnest

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1029 posts
  • Interests:Class III weapons

Posted 18 July 2003 - 03:52 PM

I am lucky. I live in a State which permits full auto and I own two. I recently posted a question about my 1928A1 REWAT and received many helpful responses from many of the members. I thank each and every one of them again. But I especially want to thank the semi-auto owner who located and posted the information that resolved my question. My point is I believe we are all here to contribute and to learn. My vote - keep it the way it is.

#27 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 18 July 2003 - 03:53 PM

Eight drum, two gun, on wheels.

Hey, maybe we should split the board into three sections; semi, full and motorcycles. tongue.gif

#28 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 18 July 2003 - 11:05 PM

I think that another way to resolve this issue would be to post a "pinned" post at the top with a FAQ section for the semi auto Thompons.

SEMI AUTO FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING)

In this post we could supply some simple basic answers such as:

1. Can I convert a semi auto to a full auto?
2. Can I buy a shorter 10.5 inch bbl and put it on my semi auto?
3. Are the new Khar Thompsons reliable out of the box?
4. Differences in semi auto sticks and full auto sticks (oval vs circle and installing new mag catch)
5. Will the M1 accept a drum?
6. Why do full autos cost so much?

These are just some examples that we see all the time and the answer is the same everytime. I was once a newbie and asked all kinds of stupid questions (upon review of these old posts, I sounded like a complete idiot). The guys got pretty frustrated with me and I see why, I just didn't know. If we could condense some of this basic semi auto information into a pinned post (now possible because of the new board), we could save a lot of time.

Ideas for the FAQ??

Jr.

#29 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3464 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 11:33 PM

You just described the informational content in 99% of answers regarding the semi models. If this type of solution could be implemented then it would certainly reduce the repetitive and redundant postings by new memebers, and those with severe carpal tunnel syndrom that prohibits them from looking for existing information on the boards. Judging by the vote tally so far, semi auto and new generation Thompson owners constitute the overwhelming majority on a board hosted by "Machinegun Books". With this kind of interest in these models, I wonder why there isn't a book available regarding the semi models? Then the web site could be called "Machine & Single Fire Gun Books."

#30 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons of course. All Manufactures and Models.

Posted 18 July 2003 - 11:40 PM

John Jr,
I like that idea. Should work out fine.
My .02

#31 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 12:21 AM

Oh, there is only one Book that I know of in reference to the SA Guns. Doug Richardsons, "THOMPSON: New production Semi-Autos"...

#32 Zamm

Zamm

Respected Member & Artist

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, and all their goodies!<br>Obsolete Victorian Photomechanical processes,<br>Etching, Engraving and all Printmaking,<br>Entomology, specializing in Coleoptera,<br>Arachnology, specializing in Theraphosidae.

Posted 19 July 2003 - 01:08 AM

I think we ought to keep the boards as is. I have learned so much from full auto even though I only own a westy semi, and live in a semi only state.
We just love to hear and see about all things thompson!
Cheers, Zamm

#33 Grey Crow

Grey Crow

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1077 posts
  • Interests:Thompson Submachine guns, computers, reptiles.

Posted 19 July 2003 - 02:23 AM

I agree, there is a need for a book covering the semis. Starting with the 21/27 conversion, flowing into the AO series then Kahr, even though Kahr is under the guise of AO, there are differences in parts. With sections on shop tips, (things that can be done in the home workshop) and just keeping them working! A chapter on laws as known at the time of writing, with a list of URLs and addresses, phone numbers for ATF/NFA Departments.

Then a good list of smiths for those special jobs.

"Hint, Hint, PK!!

A book of the above nature would be quite an undertaking, with a fairly good size market, provided that the new laws do not go into effect.

Not so long ago on the old board there was talk of a FAQ section, to help eliminate the redundant postings. Some of the information is very well hidden!

#34 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 06:36 AM

I like to have one location, but would not mind a full auto and semi auto board.

#35 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3464 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 10:36 AM

Those of you in favor of separate boards for semi and full auto do not forget to register your vote at the top of the page. Maybe we can even get into double digits just for a cosmetic score.

#36 TOMMY SMG

TOMMY SMG

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:My interests are four wheeling, target shooting, JD 4020 tractors, chating with you guys on this site and my Thompson SMG collection.

Posted 19 July 2003 - 12:02 PM

Arthur,

Sorry, but on this issue, we are going to have to "agree to disagree". I'm with most the other board members "if it isn't broke, don't fix it!!!!" Too much good information being shared between our members, weather you own full or semi, to split it up now. (Love ya guys, but you can't have my "Bud Light")

Just my two cents,
Jim

PS - Don't mind my avatars, I'm still playing with it!!!?????........ Have a nice day.

#37 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 19 July 2003 - 02:02 PM

Jim-
I was just about to ask what the hell that was in the avatar. I was a little afraid to ask until you mentioned it.

#38 TOMMY SMG

TOMMY SMG

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:My interests are four wheeling, target shooting, JD 4020 tractors, chating with you guys on this site and my Thompson SMG collection.

Posted 19 July 2003 - 02:23 PM

Sgt, tongue.gif

Don't feel bad sad.gif , I had no clue blink.gif until I saw a few biggrin.gif guys talking about it, but dam, I like cool.gif to use those "Smilies" laugh.gif ph34r.gif smile.gif huh.gif ohmy.gif

See ya,
Jim

PS - ohmy.gif Can you tell what my blink.gif "avatar" blink.gif is? ( ph34r.gif clue, DRUM???!!!) HA laugh.gif

#39 TOMMY SMG

TOMMY SMG

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 199 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 03:38 PM

Sgt,

There dry.gif , I fixed it biggrin.gif , hope you cool.gif like it!!!! (One of smile.gif my girls wink.gif )

Jim cool.gif

#40 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 03:48 PM

Drum Pouch Cover Flap??