’21 Kit Now Available

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 28 October 2003 - 08:48 AM

A small batch of ’21 Thompson kits are now available.

http://www.darklight...son/diamondk/21 Kit.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image'>

I have the following to offer:

Savage/Stevens Knurled Actuator $338 (ALL SOLD, PENDING FUNDS)

http://www.darklight...on/diamondk/Sav Full.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image'>

http://www.darklight...on/diamondk/Sav Knob.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image'>

Savage Smooth Actuator $318 (1) (SOLD)

WH Cast Actuator (hardened to mil spec) $253 (1)

http://www.darklight...son/diamondk/WH Knob.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image'>

Shipping & insurance $7

Kits consist of one of the above actuators re-machined to specifications shown on the 1919 Auto-Ordnance print, a new Wolff recoil spring, a new Diamond K hybrid 21/28 Buffer Pilot and polyurethane Buffer Disk. All parts blued except spring & disk.

Actuator Details: The polish on the Actuator metal is "as it was" (military). They have been re-blued. The bluing on everything but the knob has a blue/purplish hue due to the heat treatment, the knob (which I believe were selectively annealed) is blue/black. Obviously the Actuators are used parts and will bear some signs of age & use, but no heavy pitting or serious dings are present. Because they are used parts I can not warranty them, only the machining to convert them.

This kit, installed into a 1928 model by simply replacing the 1928 parts, will make the gun function like the original 1921 model. The cyclic rate will be higher and the operation more positive. This is how the Thompson was originally designed to work. smile.gif

#2 The1930sRust

The1930sRust

Respected Member and Board Donor

• 1939 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, obviously. Proud West Hurley 1928 and Savage M1 owner, cave explorer, and KSP trooper (retired). Also interested in 1920-1930 American history. I appreciate all Thompson models and their owners.

Posted 28 October 2003 - 04:39 PM

I feel I must comment on PK's '21 kits. Though I am currently using an original 1921 actuator in my West Hurley 1928, I did get a new pilot and buffer from Paul (which comes as a part of his outfit). The Diamond K actuator (seen here in an early image) is identical to the original ones, as he pointed out. Paul says the cyclic rate is higher and the operation more positive. I concur. You can feel a big difference in the operation of this gun in full auto with he 21 kit. I find the gun smoother and has less recoil/movement. It is much easier to keep the gun on target. You can look at some of my recent videos (specifically the couchpotato) which has little overall movement.

I love the 21 actuator! It is much more fun to shoot, though the fun is over way too soon!

#3 Bruce L

Bruce L

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 06:02 PM

PK,

How much would the kit be w/ a customer-supplied actuator? Just dug my original WH actuator out from the pile at the bottom of the safe.

Thanks!

#4 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 06:35 PM

About $130 (not inc. hardening) Bruce, but you first have to determine if your WH Actuator is a one piece cast one or a machined body with a riveted knob. The former will make a good part, the latter is a paperweight.

#5 Brickyard

Brickyard

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:WWII guns<br>Golf when not shooting or reading this board<br>Family (Have to say that, someone will read this)<br>My dogs (screw the cat)<br>My '53 Willy's Jeep

Posted 28 October 2003 - 07:56 PM

I think I've commented on this before. The kit is great. Rust speaks well. Smoother, more controlable but, the fun lasts a bit quick. My solution: I just two more sticks. If you choose to do it, you'll love it.

#6 Bruce L

Bruce L

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 09:13 PM

PK,

Is this easy to determine by looking at the actuator?

thanks!

#7 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 28 October 2003 - 09:41 PM

I need a buffer for the 1928, mines getting worn out. (damn that PMP!!!)

Jr

#8 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 10:27 PM

Bruce, look under the ball shaped knob on the bottom of the body, if its riveted you should see the formed over stud from the ball.

John; got ‘um in stock, e mail me if you want some.

#9 The1930sRust

The1930sRust

Respected Member and Board Donor

• 1939 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, obviously. Proud West Hurley 1928 and Savage M1 owner, cave explorer, and KSP trooper (retired). Also interested in 1920-1930 American history. I appreciate all Thompson models and their owners.

Posted 30 October 2003 - 04:42 PM

Wow! Neato pics, PK!

#10 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 30 October 2003 - 04:51 PM

PK, I love the Savage/Stevens knurled actuator(great close-up)!! biggrin.gif

#11 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 04:42 PM

There is only one kit remaining; the WH actuator.

If your primary interest is performance, and you would like to save a buck or two this is a great bargain.

I have checked all the measurements and had this piece professionally heat treated to the same hardness as the military parts. It should perform and last just as well as a Savage part, but at a good saving.

Prior to bluing I tested this part and it runs great.

If you ever wanted your 28 to run like a rabbit, don’t let this one get away.