2 replies to this topic

#1 ghostsoldier

ghostsoldier

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 482 posts
  • Interests:WW2 history, gangsters, Public Enemies and G-Men history

Posted 04 March 2006 - 11:31 AM

Question me an answer here....I wanna swap my 16" barrel with the 10.5", but I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a fancy barrel vice or tools...since I'm not gonna keep the long barrel, can I just chuck the receiver in a big vice (with leather pads) and use a pipe wrench or vice grips (with leather pads) and a breaker-bar to get it loose? If so, does it thread counter-clockwise("lefty-loosey")? Do I need to use any heat on the barrel?
Rob

#2 kilroyjones

kilroyjones

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 12:16 PM

I assume that you have a WH or Kahr since it has a 16" barrel, and that you have registered it as a SBR. Here is how I removed my Kahr barrel...

I machined a barrel wrench similar to what is shown in Doug Richardson's catalog. I placed the receiver in a large bench vise with leather pads to protect the surface. I placed the wrench on the barrel as close to the receiver as possible and used brass shim stock between the barrel and wrench. Several of the 'smiths on the board say not to use shims, but I didn't know that at the time.

A large pipe wrench clamped to the wrench broke the barrel free with no damage to the receiver or barrel. Yes, it is counter clockwise, like any standard thread.

You may not be worried about marring the 16" barrel, but how are you going to tighten the new barrel without marring it? You would be better off getting a proper barrel wrench.

KJ

#3 philasteen

philasteen

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1118 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 04:17 PM

The best tool for a barrel change is a cardboard carton -- make sure it's big enough to cover the gun and the new barrel. Once the gun and barrel are in the cartion, seal it and mail it to PK for the barrel change.

wink.gif