Barrel Replacement Question

Hi Matt. I am not the expert here PK is however. I will try to give you a brief answer though. Your questions about the replacement bolt, barrel replacement and headspace are all interelated. If you replace the barrel the headspace will definately have to be checked. Use the bolt you will be shooting with when you do this. As far as the comp. lining up, it may or may not. This is not the critical factor, the headspace is. Compensators where put on last after the barrel was installed and the headspaced checked. This is not as easy as screwing the old barrel off and putting he new one on. It should be done by some one experienced in this, such as PK. You don't want the headspace off just so the comp. lines up right. Ask PK he is very friendly and the best with TSMG repairs.

Thanks for the confidence Chopper.

Your technical answers are correct. If the parts are to spec, head space should fall right in, but it should always be checked whenever replacing a barrel. There is a high likely hood that the comp will have to be reset, this is normally an easy job if you have the tools.

My '28 WH was worked on a short time ago and when the barrel was reinstalled the comp. was off center. Is it worth going through the trouble to take comp. off and reallign? What's the best way to go about this? Am I correct in saying WH's have the compensator 'glued' on? Also I'm still looking for someone to remove the cut receiver part from a '28 barrel and install the barrel on a dummy receiver, anyone who has time to do this. please contact me with price. Thanks.

Mike Hammer

Depends on what your WH '28 Came with. The early Guns from WH featured Original Compensators that thread on, and used a Pin. Later, WH eliminated the Pin, and went to Lock Tight. Kahr has elminated the Threads all together, and now these just use a Pin. If your Comp lacks the hole for the Pin, I suppose one could be drilled into it, like it should be, and installed that way.