Tommy Gun And Dirty Harry

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mario Scarpino

Mario Scarpino

• Regular Group
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:02 PM

I was watching Dirty Harry the other night. Where Harry drops off the cash, Scorpio uses an automatic weapon. It sounds like a Thompson. I could not make out the weapon (poor lighting or poor quality tape). Does anybody know for sure what was used in the movie? A guy at work thought it might have been an MP 40.

Thanks,
Mario

#2 Junebug

Junebug

• Regular Group
  • 14 posts
  • Interests: Anything having to do with shooting, militaria, fishing, and old cars.

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:16 PM

I haven't seen "Dirty Harry" in a long time, but if I remember correctly, Scorpio was using an MP-40. Now you've got me wanting to see the movie!

#3 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:41 PM

Not sure of the actual firearm but almost certain it was not a Thompson.

#4 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4584 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:49 PM

Didn't one of the bad guys in a office pull one out of a file cabinet and use it?

#5 TD.

TD.

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2911 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:03 PM

It seems like they did...maybe an M1 Thompson...but it has been years since I saw that movie.

#6 35divmp

35divmp

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:WWII reenacting, shooting my Savage M1 Thompson (my wife wants one too!), and playing with my kids!

Posted 14 March 2006 - 07:36 AM

QUOTE (full auto 45 @ Mar 13 2006, 10:49 PM)
Didn't one of the bad guys in a office pull one out of a file cabinet and use it?

Yeah, but it was in "Magnum Force," the second Dirty Harry movie.

#7 philasteen

philasteen

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1118 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:46 AM

I vaguely remember a scene where the equivalent of a SWAT team had Thompsons, among other guns.

#8 TheGunny

TheGunny

• Regular Group
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 11:22 PM

!st Dirty Harry it was a MP-40 the bad guy was using!

2nd Dirty Harry, one cop had a S&W model 76, 9mm submachinegun. The pool scene. Then in the warehouse bust scene, the bad guys do whip out a Thompson.

#9 Mike Hammer

Mike Hammer

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Travel, sun worshiper, margaritas, hot chicks, painting, scuba diving, movies, collecting movie memorabilia and autographs, guns, hot chicks, micro-beers, hot chicks, and did I say hot chicks?

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:14 AM

TheGunny is correct. Andy Robinson playing the psycho "Scorpio" in the Original "Dirty Harry, originally uses a high power rifle to do his sniping but when Harry and partner confont him on rooftop and then again later at the cross, Scorpio blasts away with the MP40. Magnum force, (2nd DH film), bad cop kills entire mafia pool party with one magazine from S&W76, one hell of a shot that cop! Bad guy warehouse shootout shows two badies using Thompson M1's and being outgunned and shot by Harry with his revolver, (not likely in real life but makes great movie stuff!) popcorn.gif

Mike Hammer

#10 DINK

DINK

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 198 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:19 AM

Well, the cop shooting up the pool also used a sachel charge, which is probably cheating (even for mafia-hunting).

By the way, supposedly Suzanne Somers was supposedly one of the (topless) bimbo victims of the poolside massacre. Any idea if this is true?