Drum Question

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Brickyard

Brickyard

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:WWII guns<br>Golf when not shooting or reading this board<br>Family (Have to say that, someone will read this)<br>My dogs (screw the cat)<br>My '53 Willy's Jeep

Posted 30 October 2003 - 06:37 PM

Chris:

Great flick !!! (Mike, you too). I'm gonna re-think the 90 mph thing if it's OK with you. ....

I drive a black, er, 'em, WHITE, yea white, Chevy, er, 'em, FORD, yea Ford truck ....

#22 mp40

mp40

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Collecting guns(what else?) cars (fords) and collecting modelguns (a primarily Japanese hobby, plastic/zinc hi-tech cap guns)

Posted 30 October 2003 - 09:12 PM

Chris, you look mighty wild-eyed! like yus was hose'n down some TV or som'thin!
I like that picture! that would be a great wall paper for the computer!
and Sir Mike, Chris has you out-gunned! with the C drum! ohmy.gif better up-date your picture!

#23 Waffen Und Bier

Waffen Und Bier

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 629 posts
  • Interests:Like the name says "Guns and beer" (and really hot chicks who like guns and beer).

Posted 31 October 2003 - 12:11 AM

"Colt" drums won't go down. Nor will WWII military drums. They ain't makin' no more of either. Drums made before '94 can still be brought into the country, if I'm not mistaken. Now the West Hurley drums........they would probably go down as Kahr would make a close copy and WH drums have no historical value. In the 1920's, Colt did not make the original "Colt" drums, they subcontracted (if I remember correctly). Colt of today is a joke quality control wise (and had major problems in certain models since the 70's). I'm a Colt collector and love Colts, but don't look for them them make a nice drum. There's no money in it for them today. Colt is just a name today.
Before you think I'm a Colt basher, I'm proud owner of the following Colt products:

Colt 1921AC
Colt M16A1 Carbine 653
Colt/ArmaLite AR15 Model 601
Colt M203
Colt AR15A2 HBAR 6600
Colt M16 9mm 633
Colt M16A2 Commando 733
(and buttloads of original Colt accessories and factory brochures going back to the 60's).
(can't remember how many other Colts I've owned and gotten rid of).

And I'm damn envious of Murray's collection.

#24 Waffen Und Bier

Waffen Und Bier

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 629 posts
  • Interests:Like the name says "Guns and beer" (and really hot chicks who like guns and beer).

Posted 01 November 2003 - 01:22 PM

Thanks for the offers guys. I should have qualified that I'm a reformed Colt collector. I have all I want and at this time am not looking to acquire any more Colt stuff. Nor is there anything I wish to get rid of right now. Thanks though!

#25 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 01 November 2003 - 04:59 PM

Still, I'd like to see Colt buy the right to manufacture the C and L-type drums from Kahr, since Kahr apparently has neither the interest nor the ability to produce a quality drum. And as you pointed out Waffen Und Bier, since Colt never actually produced these drums, wouldn't it be great to see Colt contract out to Kimber, for example. I haven't heard any complaints about quality control at Kimber. My point on this is to make quality C and L-type drums available to the masses at a more reasonable price. ohmy.gif blink.gif unsure.gif cool.gif That way, those who want a quality Thompson drum can have it, while those who want the original Colt can have them too (at a price). What is wrong with having an original Colt and a new quality manufactured Colt (contracted out to Kimber) as a shooter (and for a reasonable price) in each of our collections? biggrin.gif smile.gif

#26 deerslayer

deerslayer

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1685 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 05:19 PM

I seem to recall a rumor that Doug Richardson was going to have C drums made, then the 10 round limit law came about (Sigh). Can anybody confirm that?
Dan

#27 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons of course. All Manufactures and Models.

Posted 01 November 2003 - 05:23 PM

I heard that too.

#28 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 01 November 2003 - 05:28 PM

Maybe Colt could contract out to Doug Richardson, if the 1994 Crime Bill dies and is not replaced with something worse? mad.gif blink.gif rolleyes.gif cool.gif

#29 Waffen Und Bier

Waffen Und Bier

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 629 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 08:27 PM

Thing that bothers me is, I have a Colt Law Enforcement poster (ca. 1995)framed in my office. There's a bunch of Dick Kramer's lawmen shown with 1873's, 1911's, DA revolvers, and even an M16 M635. Not one damn Thompson on the whole poster. Colt's changed hands so many times over the years, maybe nobody there is aware they made Thompsons (someone has all of their factory paperwork, from what I understand). Maybe they are trying to forget they made Thompsons. Dunno, but it bothers me. Sure though, if Colt made a "C" drum today that worked for around $300, I might buy one.

#30 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3453 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 08:41 PM

I guess there is no way to turn back the hands of time. Colt was indeed a premier manufacturer of quality firearms. I bought one of the early bright stainless steel Colt .45 Governmnet Autos back in 1984. It is a beautiful piece. I don't know when Colt's quality control went down hill, but they were pioneers at one time. I have heard stories about the Pythons of recent vintage. When the U.S. Government abandoned Colt for the Berreta, it sure signaled the death knell for Colt prestige.

When Auto-Ord contracted Colt to make their Thompsons it was a completely different time. The fact that Colt refused to make Thompsons when WWII broke out was their loss. Perhaps Colt benefited from the healthy competition between John Browning and John T. Thompson back in the 1920's. Now it is all just history, which is why these original guns hold a certain mystique today.

#31 SecondAmend

SecondAmend

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 610 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 12:13 PM

As the topic has digressed a bit, re Colt quality: I have a 2002 manufactured Colt SAA, blue/casehardened, 5 1/2" that is flawless. The metal polish, finish color and depth, and smoothness of the action are incredible. But, yes, I do shoot the "Super Model."

I also bought one of the 4000 newly made Colt 1911A1 WWII "replicas." It too is a fine gun. The parkerizing is uniform in color across all of the parts. The action is tight and smooth for a non-tweaked 1911. The barrel and bushing are tight. The gun is more accurate than I will ever be able to shoot it.

Perhaps the quality from Colt of late is a case by case thing and I have been lucky.

#32 Waffen Und Bier

Waffen Und Bier

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 629 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 09:09 PM

This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over 'oo killed 'oo. Colt may have done a turn around and if they did, I'm glad for us. I'm basing it on some late 70's and 1980's stuff I had the misfortune of owning and some other examples I've seen. I'm just a grump, so don't mind me smile.gif

#33 prairiefire

prairiefire

• Regular Group
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 07:29 PM

tongue.gif heyheyhey walther63a! don't knock Uncle Sam's decision to give some thompsons to third world countries! biggrin.gif Otherwise, i'd never have found out the joys of tommygunning! I'm from the Philippines, and i own a Savage 1928a1 w/ a finned barrel and Cutt's compensator. Got the gun bout 2 mos. ago and have fired more'n 3000 rounds thru it. I just cant stop laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Got an L drum for it Bridgeport WWII and average 400 rds thru it a weekend. Gosh, 1930srust was right! IT IS almost as good as... well, you know what i mean! Rest assured, THIS tommygun in THIS third world country is gonna be well taken care of! AND shot a lot!!! laugh.gif wink.gif biggrin.gif

#34 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 08:31 PM

prairiefire, that's an interesting name, considering where you live. Is there a U.S. connection? You are truly blessed to be the proud owner of a Savage 1928a1 and a Bridgeport L-type drum! blink.gif biggrin.gif smile.gif I'm happy for you! tongue.gif cool.gif In my previous post I was merely lamenting local, state, and federal laws (and rules) here in the U.S., and often the manner in which they are interpreted and enforced, which seem to conspire to reduce the numbers of these weapons (automatics-particularly Thompsons) in the hands of ordinary, law-abiding American citizens. Welcome to the boards. Regards, Walter

#35 prairiefire

prairiefire

• Regular Group
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 11:22 AM

Thanks for the welcome, Walther63a! Nice to talk with folks who share a passion for the TSMG. About those who would not want us to have guns, we have our share of those here. Not yet as noisy as those where you are, but definitely on the way. Our gun laws are pretty draconian on paper, but have so many legal loopholes that dedicated people( like me, with regards to owning full-auto weaponry) can with some effort be able to legally own and shoot these oh- so pretty powder-burners. Again, thanks for the welcome! smile.gif