Roaring Twenties Thompson

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wpndbks

wpndbks

• Regular Group
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 02:52 PM

There is a gun on eBay, Item 3634839520, that the fellow selling it says is real, #400 of 500. It has an engraved Roaring Twenties receiver. Judging by the barrel length, it looks like a semi (he emailed me additional pictures) I'm a new guy so please forgive my ignorance but, is this real? And if so, what is it doing on eBay?

#2 Norm

Norm

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2514 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons (of course), Electronics, Physics, History, Mechanics, Collecting License Plates.

Posted 29 October 2003 - 03:00 PM

It does look like a semi auto.

He/she has listed it as a "parts set." Looks like a complete gun. eBay will probably pull it.

Norm

#3 Whiskey Brother

Whiskey Brother

• Regular Group
  • 136 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 03:01 PM

Here is a direct link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...item=3634839520

I sure like the case that comes with it...

This will get pulled I bet.

#4 The1930sRust

The1930sRust

Respected Member and Board Donor

• 1939 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, obviously. Proud West Hurley 1928 and Savage M1 owner, cave explorer, and KSP trooper (retired). Also interested in 1920-1930 American history. I appreciate all Thompson models and their owners.

Posted 29 October 2003 - 03:24 PM

Gold jewelry on it too, some sort of roaring twenties commemorative I guess?

#5 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons of course. All Manufactures and Models.

Posted 29 October 2003 - 04:59 PM

What is shown is a complete West Hurley Semi-Auto Thompson. This Gun was manufactured for the American Historical Foundation in Virginia. On the right hand side of the Receiver there are etchings of a Speeding Car with a Tommygunner, Names such as, Elliot Ness, Melvin Purvis, The Untouchables, "The Gun That Made The Twenties Roar", Ect. This was a Limited Edition of 500. At the time these were introduced, there was an optional 50Rd Drum that could be had with the same Serial Number, a Violin Style Case, and a Display Case. The Gun also came with a Black Leather Sling fitted with Gold Plated Hardware. The American Historical Foundation still offers this Firearm. Priced at $2,795.00. However, no more 50Rd Drums. They do however offer a 10Rd Drum with Serial Number for $139.00, the Violin Case at $299.00, and the Display Case for $249.00 Ebay will pull it.

#6 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3456 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 07:47 PM

It sure seems sacrilege to make a "Roaring Twenties" TSMG out of a West Hurley 27A1. The American Historical Foundation must have forgotten the "historical" feature that decribes their foundation.

#7 SecondAmend

SecondAmend

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 610 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 12:17 PM

As Henry Ford said, "History is bunk!"

#8 Incomplete

Incomplete

• Regular Group
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 05:00 PM