• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Thundercat97

Thundercat97

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:35 AM

Question... I have a SBR semi auto that runs and looks real nice after some work and now I am getting "sick" so a cure is needed - full atuo style. I am finally going to attempt to enter the world of FA Thompsons. I am deciding between a WH or a WW2 Era ... also deciding on a M1 or M1A1. I have been really reading up and would like some opinions from you guys. I want a nice example that I will use on my range. What would be some values, etc. I have been checking with some dealers and web sites and the prices are all over the place.

Thanks in advance for the words of wisdom.

Rob

#2 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 4111 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:50 AM

rob for a cheap shooter a wes-hurlee, m1a1 will work fine,if you consider now $10,000.00 plus for a shooter cheap??the ww2 era gun for history and hope for the future. the wes-hurlee 1928 model for enjoyment with a drum.and the look's. it will let you watch the untouchable's on t.v.or d.v.d. with no ill feeling's..

and you get to join the "drum fetish klub"first started on this web-site..

now before you part with all those c-note's..make sure the house is in order....and you want to spend $25,000.00 plus for a colt now...thats the ultimate drum shooter..amaze all your buddie's.tell them you blast a colt for fun and don't care what value..since it's just metal and wood....wink!!

however back to reality...geta m1 or m1a1 hurley...the less costly route.and remember once you start looking for one.you gonna hear the tale's >fur-sure.it doe's this.owned by this one.paperwork signed off by this one.used in this bank robber's blazing gun battle in 1979 or whatever...

or owned by barney fife.{ now rare since he has passed on}

or just stick with a semi.and pull the trigger fast...about 80% of the public won't know the diff.on that one..

some here will say we spend that much on a s.u.v.to take you to work.so whats the big deal?? well a tommy can't drive you to work.however if you arrive with one there.you can take over work!wink! {don't do it}

anyways have fun shopping.contact recon ord.{jerry} he has a few in stock right now...i think two m1's and a few 28's..expect to pay $12,000.00 to $15,000.00> at least thats what he told me he's selling them for...we just talked monday....ya-da ya-da.he did mention alot to buy now.and thing's are kinda slow class three wise.

good luck and keep it fun...when it become's a strain.you don't need it. take care,ron

#3 Thundercat97

Thundercat97

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 10:03 AM

Ron,

I love the the M1/M1A1 config and will keep your thoughts in mind as I continue my search. Recon Ord is the guy in shotgun news, correct?

Thanks,
Rob

#4 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 4111 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 10:05 AM

or buy the one doug stump is selling here.i think he's selling??or at least is asking about selling..whats that skit "who's on first"?? anyhow ask him...good luck....take care,ron

p.s however if you step on another collector's deal.BEWARE"you will be tagged a dirt-bag forever... it's all in that petty game.wink!

#5 Thundercat97

Thundercat97

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 10:10 AM

Saw that post... thanks

another one... I have a C&R license (just got it about a month ago).... I know Thompsons made before 1945 were on the list but have been reading on posts that it changed recently but I have nothing from the BATFE saying that.... any input?

Rob

#6 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 4111 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (Thundercat97 @ Mar 21 2006, 10:03 AM)
Ron,

I love the the M1/M1A1 config and will keep your thoughts in mind as I continue my search. Recon Ord is the guy in shotgun news, correct?

Thanks,
Rob

920-922-1515,ya can tell him r.k. from az. sent you.he might throw in a extra 30 mag with that...he -he...also the other fellow on this board selling one.. good luck in whatever you do......take care,ron

#7 TSMG28

TSMG28

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 597 posts
  • Interests:WWII history, firearms, and accessories; Thompson magazines, especially drums

Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:34 PM

Thundercat,

All of the West Hurley's are now C&R. The M1's had been, but not the 1928's. So, you're good to go either way.

For the safety minded, if you get an M1A1, it is generally suggested by a number on this board that you replace the M1A1 bolt with an M1 bolt. There are several discussions on this topic, so pick whichever side makes you comfortable.

FA is wonderful! You won't regret your move. Your wallet may be a bit lighter, especially after feeding the new beast, but the weight in your hands at the range is priceless.

Roger

#8 marks

marks

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Full auto weapons.

Posted 22 March 2006 - 02:10 PM

I'd go with a westy 1928. But thats just me.

#9 TNKen

TNKen

• Regular Group
  • 374 posts
  • Interests:Firearms, machine guns, defensive handgun competition, snow skiing and ski patrol, my children

Posted 22 March 2006 - 03:53 PM

Be advised that once you start, unless you have an NFA toy in transfer, you will be going through withdrawl symptoms.

It's addicting.

Ken

#10 must

must

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:all Thompsons, M1 carbines, & early Mustangs

Posted 23 March 2006 - 03:16 AM

I've got a West Hurley M1 (I changed out the bolt) that I have had for 3 years and I really like the gun alot! biggrin.gif

Brent
P.S. PK had it for awhile to fix the problems it had (it was NIB) & it is really nice gun to shoot now. cool.gif

#11 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1957 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:04 AM

Here is my 2cents....

You will be glad you did, but expect to pay no less than $15K unless you are able to find a good deal.

Don't get a WH as people are asking for the same price as an "original".

Don't get an M1 as the first full auto. Get a model 28. Why? 4 words: 100....round....drum....dump

#12 Thundercat97

Thundercat97

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 83 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:44 AM

Thanks guys..... I am still in the hunt and doing my homework. I hear the thoughts on the 28 but just love the M1 configuration and look. I hate waiting for the paper work -- still waiting for approval on my newest toy. They cashed the check on Dec 30th so I should be hearing something very soon. I visit my new toy every so often... man, waiting stinks!!

Rob