1921 Colt

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ZLP

ZLP

• Regular Group
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 12:59 PM

So whats the deal with the Colt '21 #1769 from Florida advertised on Gunbroker? Opening bid of $65,000 ?!?! Seems to me that the last time I saw it up fpr auction the opening bid was $45,000 or something. Is it one of those rare models that is really made of solid gold, but painted to look like wood and steel? I know its a Colt, but that seems crazy (even with that pile of stuff included).
ZLP

#2 docmolar

docmolar

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 01:05 PM

Well maybe since it has been on there for ever and no bids maybe he thought by raising the price he might get a bite ! Or maybe he is just making his x-wife happy ? mad.gif

#3 1921A

1921A

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 692 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:47 PM

This gun has been for sale by owner for a lot of years. It is in about 85% condition with a noticeable ring (bulge) in the barrel. I considered buying it as an inventory/shooter piece back in the late 80s when the asking price was under 3K. Supposedly, it has ties to the prohibition era and eventually became the personal property of a former states attorney from the Daytona area.

Considering the "asking" prices for Colt Thompsons today, it's probably worth 20-25K for the gun. If I remember correctly, most of the acccessories are WWII vintage.

#4 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4968 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:21 PM

His name on the board says it all.

#5 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1974 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:51 PM

Probably one of those people that throw a huge hook (too big to catch any little fish) with a big piece of bait out in the ocean with the only intention of landing one huge fish/sucker. Basically, an all or nothing deal. All it takes is just one uneducated Thompson person with cash and there are plenty of them out there.