Photo
- - - - -

Why Does This Lyman Sight Look Odd To Me?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 philasteen

philasteen

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1118 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:31 PM

Link to Auctionuser posted image

#2 First Sergeant

First Sergeant

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 834 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:37 PM

I believe that is the reproduction one that Auto-Ordinance made in the 70's and 80's when supplies of originals ran out. Others on here will know for sure. My early WH 27 and 28 came with original Lymans. Hope this helps.

Chuck

#3 kilroyjones

kilroyjones

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 192 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:46 PM

Kahr is still using this sight on the new tommy's.

#4 red cap

red cap

• Regular Group
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:44 PM

Seems to have a new made sight adjustment lock...or is at least a piece with an inconsistent color.

#5 OldFalGuy

OldFalGuy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 735 posts
  • Interests:Sporting Clays, Skeet, Reloading and just plain Living

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:46 PM

Yep, Standard non-Lyman WH rear sight. I find them easier to slide up and down (not that that is necessary tooo often) but the rear pin just doesn't like to stay put like a real Lyman. I bought a Lyman but have to find someone to rivet it on for me as I am not about to try it. Would be fuugly if I did it.

Mark

#6 Motorcar

Motorcar

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 804 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:48 PM

WH/Kahr sight, not Lyman...I like the pop rivets best tongue.gif

#7 Zamm

Zamm

Respected Member & Artist

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, and all their goodies!<br>Obsolete Victorian Photomechanical processes,<br>Etching, Engraving and all Printmaking,<br>Entomology, specializing in Coleoptera,<br>Arachnology, specializing in Theraphosidae.

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:11 PM

Tis not a Lyman...

#8 frets24

frets24

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:my family...especially my wife. WWII US and German bolt, semi, fullauto long guns as well as side arms & accessories. Thompsons of any type. music, R/C airplanes, dogs/cats and waterskiing.

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:21 PM

west hurley aluminumn base sight with reproduction enfield flip up sight installed.
When A.O., West Hurley began producung their own mg receivers after running out of the new old stock receivers they quickly ran out of real lyman sight ladders.
To keep costs down they substituted Enfield rifle flip ups into the steel sight bases they had left. Shortly thereafter they ran out of steel bases so they began to make the bases out of aluminumn.
Next was the production of their own stamped ladders as the supply of surplus enfield sights depleted. Initially these completely A.O, WH sights were riveted on to both the semi and full auto 27/28s. somewhere down the line (after the may 86 debacle) they began to "pop-rivet" the sight bases to the guns as a further cost cutting measure.
This particular sight base is flat counter sunk for pop-riv's as opposed to the taper counter sunk type for standard riv's so it's certianly either an unused recent replacement part or recently removed part from a newer '27 (hopefully in favor of a real Lyman sight from one of the recently available flood of '28 tommy parts kits w/ real rear sights.)

#9 brian

brian

• Regular Group
  • 345 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 04:45 PM

"real" ones are windage adjustable also are they not?

#10 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3705 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 28 March 2006 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (brian @ Mar 28 2006, 04:45 PM)
"real" ones are windage adjustable also are they not?

You'll have to talk to Mike and his friend Dave they are stone cold experts on windage..... Those boys have some serious windage...

But as for the sight you are correct sir.....

#11 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4968 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 28 March 2006 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (Z3BigDaddy @ Mar 28 2006, 05:42 PM)
You'll have to talk to Mike and his friend Dave they are stone cold experts on windage.....   Those boys have some serious windage...

laugh.gif laugh.gif Is that banjos I hear a playin'? Ya'all come back now, ya hears.
That was genuine frontier gibberish.