8 replies to this topic

#1 JTinIN

JTinIN

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 207 posts
  • Interests:Machine guns and Flintlocks

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:28 AM

Have always used the Win white box 45 ACP hard ball with no issues, however, after a friend and local smith had a couple damaged TSMG barrels come through the shop - starting to think the M1 might get a change in diet (the MAC10 can still shoot the Win. WB ;-).

Have had good luck with S&B - however - no one carries it much anymore and even getting hard to talk the local SOT's into ordering it.

Appreciate any ideas - on line or off (note use to load everthing that I shot, with no problems for a couple dozen years, however time is too short and can either shoot/clean or reload ... not both).

#2 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1587 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompson's, 43+ years experience.

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:34 AM

I thought we were suppose to have more time as we got older- I’m learning it isn’t true also. nutkick.gif

I have never had a problem with Federal American Eagle.

FWIW

#3 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1944 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:52 AM

Federal American Eagle has been great and so has MagTech.

Oh, my reloads are awesome as well.

#4 First Sergeant

First Sergeant

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 806 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 09:57 AM

I ran a few hundred rounds of departmental American Eagle 45 FMJ out of my 1928 WH last Friday without a hitch. First time I'd shot 45 American Eagle and other than it being dirty, was pleased.

Chuck

#5 Chopper28

Chopper28

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:All Class three stuff and ammo

Posted 29 March 2006 - 01:30 PM

Still shooting USGI WWII Russian repack. Dirty but runs perfectly. Wish we could find some more.

#6 35divmp

35divmp

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:WWII reenacting, shooting my Savage M1 Thompson (my wife wants one too!), and playing with my kids!

Posted 29 March 2006 - 02:19 PM

My M1 Thompson eats just about everything I put into it. I personally think that the WWII M1 and M1A1 weapons were designed that way.

Of course, if the primer's suck or the powder's just gone bad, well..... There's not a whole hell you can do about that.

I've fired everything from wadcutters, Argitinnie, Russian, original GI, reloads, ball, lead ball to high price ammo and it all seems the same to me. Maybe you just got a bad batch from the factory.

Suggest you contact the factory and let them know.

Jay

#7 bug

bug

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1676 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, shooting, reloading, metalworking, woodworking, photography.

Posted 29 March 2006 - 07:42 PM

I used S&B for a few years and it ran very well in my Savage 28. About 10,000 rounds ago I switched over to Wolf and never looked back. The gun runs like a Singer. Life is too short to reload.

Bob D

#8 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1944 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE (bug @ Mar 29 2006, 07:42 PM)
Life is too short to reload.

Don't knock it until you try it. tongue.gif

I took 2000 rounds to the range the other day and it probably cost me less than $175.

So in a way you are right, Life is too short, you need to save money for retirement so one should reload. biggrin.gif

#9 bug

bug

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1676 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, shooting, reloading, metalworking, woodworking, photography.

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:32 AM

Jim, I have been reloading for over 30 years. I still do all of my hunting and target ammo in 308. I prefer the term "hand loading" for what I do now.

I am retired and have neither the time nor the desire for "ammunition manufacturing". I try to get my guns out once a month weather permitting. A 1500 round trip is about normal using Wolf in four of the five machineguns. I also use it in all of my handguns and a couple of 223 semis. I would guess I have used at least 20,000 rounds in 9mm, 40S&W, 45 and 223. I've had one FTF in all that time. That was a 40 that had a bad primer in my Sig 229. It works for me.

Bob D