Grip Mount Misfit

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 18 July 2003 - 05:01 PM

I just got a replacement 1/2", GI grip mount from Sarco. I tried it on a Phil.Or. dummy receiver and the mount was too big for the receiver slot. Were there different designs within the 1/2" mounts? Could I have gotten a later WH?

#2 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3443 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 05:58 PM

Sarco strikes again! Sounds like thats what they sent.

#3 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons of course. All Manufactures and Models.

Posted 18 July 2003 - 06:02 PM

Perhaps Sgt, that Phil Ord didn't machine the Slot correctly..

#4 The1930sRust

The1930sRust

Respected Member and Board Donor

• 1939 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, obviously. Proud West Hurley 1928 and Savage M1 owner, cave explorer, and KSP trooper (retired). Also interested in 1920-1930 American history. I appreciate all Thompson models and their owners.

Posted 18 July 2003 - 06:44 PM

If I recall correctly, when PK placed a Savage gripmount into my WH28, the receiver needed some modification for it to fit; too tight. Could be PO cut the slot a tad too small. Nothing a competent smith cannot fix.

#5 must

must

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:all Thompsons, M1 carbines, & early Mustangs

Posted 18 July 2003 - 07:41 PM

cool.gif My WH M1 had a 3/4" mount & PK mount a 1/2" Savage in my gun. I think the only difference is that WH milled out the wood forearm to install the bigger gripmount (the WH one in my gun broke, I think they were a rivited type). Hope this helps.

#6 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 18 July 2003 - 07:52 PM

Thanks guys; it does look like a minor fix. I really bought the mount to replace the 3/4" in my semi. I was just trying it out on the dummy first. Who knows, maybe it will fit the Kahr just fine.

#7 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 18 July 2003 - 09:31 PM

While it is true that I find some receivers with out of print slots for the grip mount, I also see lots of surplus GI gripmounts that have been staked to make them a tighter fit in a maximum receiver. Give the mounting flanges on your gripmount a good looking over your