• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 1975mgb

1975mgb

• Regular Group
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 01:12 PM

HI,

I always wanted a thompson and finally parted with the money, now I'm not quite sure what I've bought. I have a 1928 A1 with a L drum (brings a whole new meaning to " It sucks picking up brass.) and a violin case. It has a West Hurley address on it. It is used but in pretty good shape, could anyone tell me about what this might be worth? (Probably should have asked that before I bought it). Couple of questions about the gun now. What is a good reference for taking it apart, my NRA books don't cover it? With the drum in I can't lock the bolt back, it i take the drum out and hold up the lever in the straight clip slot the bolt will lock back. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal? On firing the gun I had several stoppages. The bullets did not jam, but the bolt stayed full open like i had an empty clip. Also, like several postings I saw about halfway through the drum the rear sight popped off in my face, what is the best fix for this? Other than this I think i'm hooked and will start saving for the full auto. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks

#2 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons of course. All Manufactures and Models.

Posted 17 November 2003 - 01:22 PM

Matt, your Gun is a 1927A1 not a 1928A1.
Anyway, you are correct. In order to lock back the Bolt to insert a Drum, you pull back the Bolt to the rear, and lift up the Trip. In order to remove a Drum, you pull the Bolt back, and while holding the Bolt back, you insert a device small enough in the Magazine Channel to push up on the Trip. Kahr sells what they call a "Third Hand" for this task. You can obtain an Owners Manual from Kahr, or looking through some of the older Postings here on the "New" Forum, or do a search on the "Old" TSMG Message Board. You will find lots of info on the '27A1 Guns.

#3 Norm

Norm

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2514 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons (of course), Electronics, Physics, History, Mechanics, Collecting License Plates.

Posted 17 November 2003 - 02:49 PM

Matt,

Until I got my "third hand", I used a popsicle stick to trip the hold-open lock.

Be careful! I am sure you are aware of how much spring tension a 1927A1 has. It WILL hurt if it slams down on your finger! ohmy.gif Take it from somone who knows!

Norm