39 Round Drums

I have seen a lot of information about 50 round drums and 100 round drums however, I have seen very little about the operation of the 39 round drums. I have two of these and installation is not difficult using a third hand however, I still have no idea on how many "clicks" or turns of the spring to run these? I've tried 5 clicks to 11 clicks and it seems to be somewhere in between however, I ran out of ammo!!! (150 rounds). I've also tested only one drum. I know that's not much for full auto however, my semi finger is getting sore and frustrated from the jams. The best I have been able to do is 25-30 rounds before a jam occurs.

THanks, IBFIB

I have had, and still have several of the 39 rd drums. I have found the spring tension is different in everyone of them. I have never had one marked with the AO logo on the cover plate, so only speak for the Jap toy drums which came in with the cap guns.

They will feed, but as you note they jam. Meryl can work these drums over to feed, but is it cost effective?

I understand the AO marked ones also came in as imports and differ very little from the cap gun drums.

These 39 rd drums feed in the semi gun, however jam fast in my 28. I dont think AO ever intended them to be used in a full auto gun.

I must have lucked out with my westy 39. I wind it to nine clicks just like my Bridgeport L and it runs fine in my WH 28. In fact, both drums run flawlessly, but with XX or XXX mags I have to lightly hold them up to get them to work reliably.

Earle

It definitely is marked Auto Ordnance, West Hurley, NY. I'm not at home to look at it and see if there are any other markings.

Earle

Most of the covers are plain on the "XL" drums. Some of the later ones had the AO stamped on them or replaced. I've got 2 and they run good, not perfect, but good in my WH 28.

Merle has mentioned that he's seen three different types of internal spring in these drums. One spring type was stronger than the others. Possibly those of you who have had good luck with the drum had the stronger spring that could keep up with full auto fire.

With the flanged rotor, cartridge length in this drum can be critical. A cartridge that is slightly long will hang up due to friction with the cover. He made a jig to take a little metal off the back of the rotor and free up some space. After that they usually work GREAT.

Dan