• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 deerslayer

deerslayer

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1722 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 11:42 PM

Just got may hands on the 1927 A3 .22 thompson semi auto. I remember reading somewhere that they were a little picky with their ammo, some types worked better than others. Anybody have a recommendation?
Dan

#2 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 20 November 2003 - 08:34 AM

Try everything and see what works best in YOUR gun, then buy a bunch of it!

#3 TAB

TAB

• Regular Group
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 02:19 PM

Indeed. i went to the range with a bunch of different ammo for two different trainers. Neither liked the same kind. But i was pleased to note that one of them did better with the cheap stuff than it did with the high dollar stuff. wink.gif Does that have a compensator? Just that I generally find lead bullets better in .22, and standard velocity, not high. But mine are bolt guns, not exactly the same color beast.

Sounds like a fun rifle. An acquaintance in England was looking at getting a .22 Thompson. Oddly, they have no restriction on barrel length. On the other hand, apparently they can't own one at all in .45 ACP, regardless of barrel length.

#4 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4624 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 20 November 2003 - 10:08 PM

I've had 2 of the A3 guns. Both that I had worked the best on the cheap bulk ammo from who ever. I would buy at 10k rounds ata time. Lead bullet standard .22 long rifle. Very little jamming or problems. The only time I recall a problem was with I think it was Winchester ammo. Both of mine had the compensator on them.
Great for plinking away! I may even look for another for the wifey to play with. Or a .22 FA for her.