Flame At Ejection Port?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 prairiefire

prairiefire

• Regular Group
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 02:23 PM

Have a Savage 1928a1 that i shoot a lot. Have had no problems so far after more than 3,000 rounds. However what bothers me a little is the presence of a substantial tongue of flame that frequently goes out of the ejection port when the gun is fired, especially on full auto. Now, I know that since the tommygun is an open bolt design, there will always be some flame coming out there, but in my case the yellow flame seen is much worse than that i can see coming out of the muzzle and compensator, sometimes up to around 3 inches long. Is something wrong, or is it normal? I use reloads using a 230 gr. LRN bullet with 4.8 gr. of Vihta Vouri N320, basically the starting load, going at around 890 fps. My recoil spring is 67 coils and 11 inches long with .042 wire. Any ideas on whats going on will be most appreciated.

#2 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 20 November 2003 - 03:00 PM

Does your bronze lock have "ears" on it? These are projections that engage the 45 degree slots in the receiver. If not, get one that does.

#3 prairiefire

prairiefire

• Regular Group
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 08:13 PM

to PK: Yes, the Blish lock still has its ears. There are some shiny areas on it, but basically no significant wear. And thank God for that, cuz if it were damaged, there,s absolutely no place here in the Philippines ill be able to get a replacement! sad.gif

To PhilOhio: I think you got something there, Phil! N320 has a burn rate between Hodgdon Clays and Royal Scot powders. Problem is, the only easily available powders here are by Vihta Vouri and by Vectan. No American powders! Darn! Think ill try V-V N310, burn rate a bit faster than Bullseye.

To PK and Philohio: Thanks a zillion for your replies, I appreciate them a lot!But guys, one more question. If i continue using this powder and the resulting flaming of the ejection port, will it damage my gun? Or is it inconsequential? Thanks in advance for your replies! smile.gif

#4 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 24 November 2003 - 11:42 AM

Iíll be honest; I am concerned. 3Ē of flame is a lot of hot gas passing in the wrong direction- something isnít right. I would suggest you get this gun to someone who can inspect the chamber, either directly or via casting, and determine if it is ok or what the real problem might be. I know you want to be shooting this gun for a long time and I doubt you will be if this continues.

My $.02