Recoil Spring Issue

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 96lt1ss

96lt1ss

• Regular Group
  • 120 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 08:09 PM

Dave it's like sgt said we are just thrilled someone is addressing this issue the Auto Ordnance & Kahr felt no desire to rectify. If it was that easy you would hope one of these companies would have already done it. We don't mean to make you feel pressured but we are like a bunch of kids waiting to open christmas presents and very excited it's getting so close. biggrin.gif

#22 Grey Crow

Grey Crow

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1077 posts
  • Interests:Thompson Submachine guns, computers, reptiles.

Posted 26 November 2003 - 08:52 PM

As with all things anything worth having is worth waiting for, I know I have an aching arm for a set of different springs.... biggrin.gif

#23 Dave Janowski

Dave Janowski

• Regular Group
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 09:52 PM

Thanks fellaz!

I sent some pictures to a friend I would lke him to post them when he gets a little time!

Watch this post for them!

Dave

#24 TommyFan

TommyFan

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 06:49 PM

Thanks for the information updates, Dave!
If you have seen an email from me, please ignore it, and I'll wait patiently with the rest of the kids for Christmas with baited breath. If it'll help, I'll even brush my teeth!!!!

John

#25 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 30 November 2003 - 07:02 PM

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

#26 Zamm

Zamm

Respected Member & Artist

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, and all their goodies!<br>Obsolete Victorian Photomechanical processes,<br>Etching, Engraving and all Printmaking,<br>Entomology, specializing in Coleoptera,<br>Arachnology, specializing in Theraphosidae.

Posted 30 November 2003 - 07:04 PM

I hereby will refer to Mr. Janowski as Santa Dave!
Many. many thanks, Zamm

P.S. SGt., That has got to be one of the all time best films ever!!

#27 96lt1ss

96lt1ss

• Regular Group
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 08:23 PM

Something PK said has been bouncing around in my head and I need more input from someone more knowledgeable than myself

You canít compare spring rates/loads between the m1 and 27a1 because the m1 has a much heavier bolt than the 27a1.

Will an M1 bolt work or can it be modified to work in a 1927 ?

Would using the heavier bolt assembly (providing it will work) buffer and springs from an M1 accomplish easier weapon cocking also?

The only downside I can see at the moment is the need for a GI bolt

#28 Dave Janowski

Dave Janowski

• Regular Group
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 08:32 PM

A M1 bolt WILL fit the cavity with modification you must remove .100 off the bottom of the bot, then re shape ot to match factory specifications, but it can only be used as a post sample conversion!

The Richardson gun I just finished is a 192M it is the 28/21 style receiver with the use of an M1 bolt it works great!

Dave

#29 96lt1ss

96lt1ss

• Regular Group
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 08:39 PM

I take it the M1 bolt is specific to a Full Auto and swapping it is a bad thing unless you don't mind a visit from ATF ?

#30 Norm

Norm

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2514 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons (of course), Electronics, Physics, History, Mechanics, Collecting License Plates.

Posted 30 November 2003 - 09:50 PM

My early made WH 27A1 (S/N: 4XXX) seems to have been made with an actual M1 (or M1A1) bolt. ohmy.gif

Looking at the bottom of the bolt, I can see what is left of the full-auto sear "catch notch" in the bottom of it. There is barely any of the "notch" left. The bolt was then milled out for the floating firing pin to fit. Also, the insets were milled to trip the disconector.

Can anyone verify that early WH 27A1's were made with modified M1A1 bolts? blink.gif

Norm

#31 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 01 December 2003 - 10:29 AM

Early 27a1's were made with extensively modified M1 bolts.