user posted image

Link to More of this Firearms Graveyard

Thanks to Heywood for the original link

#2 SgtMartin

SgtMartin

• Regular Group
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 02:56 PM

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif rest in pieces beautiful historical wonders.

#3 96lt1ss

96lt1ss

• Regular Group
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 03:40 PM

ohmy.gif That is by far the sadest and most depressing thing I have seen in years sad.gif

The dump was in Vietnam and was all the arms collected after the war. The sheds at the back were full of the unpacked stuff ! These pics were taken in the 80s and I have been informed that the dump has been cleared and the arms scrapped. Some of the miniguns in the sheds found themselves on various film sets in the 90s.

#4 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 23 November 2003 - 05:19 PM

"Outrageous! Outrageous!!.........Outrageous!!!"-Quote from the British Army physician, on first seeing the appalling conditions at the hospital in Damascus, in the movie, Lawrence Of Arabia. ohmy.gif mad.gif blink.gif

#5 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4584 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 23 November 2003 - 05:44 PM

mad.gif What type of sick F*#k would put up a web site lite that with no way to respond to it!? Oh I do see it is a UK web address. That says a lot. I know there are some UK members that will be upset with me but I know it's not you,but some warped anti gun individual who needs a good old fashioned American Ass Whooppin'! And that's with 2 P's! mad.gif
Just think of all the extra tax dollars our goernment could be reaping off of the sales of these items to collectors like us. Sometimes they just don't have a freakin' clue do they!?
Ok I'm off my soap box until the wife pisses me off again. I'll go to my corner of the basement. dry.gif

#6 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 23 November 2003 - 05:55 PM

I hear the wail of a thousand souls, crying as with the voice of one.

#7 SgtMartin

SgtMartin

• Regular Group
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 07:10 PM

actually mike, if you go to the rest of the site(http://www.project-x.org.uk), you will see the owner is also a gun/militaria enthusiast. please try not to judge straight away. thanks rolleyes.gif

#8 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4584 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 23 November 2003 - 07:46 PM

Ok I'm sorry. Earlier I couldn't get to the "HOME" page. It kept showing the same page over & over.The web site guy may be ok.

#9 mp40

mp40

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Collecting guns(what else?) cars (fords) and collecting modelguns (a primarily Japanese hobby, plastic/zinc hi-tech cap guns)

Posted 23 November 2003 - 09:01 PM

MY GOD!!!!!! I have never seen anything like this place!!!! The incredible thing is why would this arms dump exist at all? What with all of the small armys in the world etc. That need arms (not to mention all of us gun enthusiasts) man, i would have loved to have cleaned up that "dump"! What's interesting here is that there is an HK53 on the pile of k98's where did that come from? SAD!!! Think of all the money that they could have made off of us by selling all of the usable pieces!!! sad.gif

#10 Bisley45

Bisley45

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, 1911's, Collect & Shoot Colt Pistols and Revolvers, American Civil War, anything that shoots

Posted 23 November 2003 - 09:20 PM

Mp 40 is right, they could have made a bundle selling these threw a middle man onto the US or world market. wouldn't mind having one of them though, just to see if it could be reactivated.

BB

#11 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 23 November 2003 - 09:38 PM

Government waste. We paid a TON of money for that stuff in taxes to let it ruin like that. Even if every gun pictured was just 100 bucks each, its still a damn shame. Don't be too pissed at the British, they are still too dumb to recognize the value of civilan ownership of guns. They were during WW2 also. My Thompson is Brit proofed as a testament to the stupidty of gun control.

Jr

#12 john

john

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 551 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 10:18 PM

I must be an optimist.....I see many projects and much potential joy.....

With a little effort, the world may change!

Oh wait....maybe a lot more than a LOT of effort....

Now I'm sad....

john

#13 96lt1ss

96lt1ss

• Regular Group
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 10:46 PM

What I found interesting is the website admimistrator said all those guns were from Vietnam, yet you don't see any M-16's unless I missed them. Plus I had no idea that many Thompson were involved in the Vietnam war. The stuff made it all the way to the 80 without anyone knowing about it, but previous to the 1986 machine gun laws they probably didn't feel it had much value.

#14 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 23 November 2003 - 11:24 PM

Maybe some battalion got the word to purge their inventory, to make room for the M-16.

#15 wolfer113

wolfer113

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Guns,Shooting,Knob Creek,Gun Matches,Hunting,Building Guns etc

Posted 23 November 2003 - 11:31 PM

just goes to show you how stupid people are.....i can picture myself swimming across that pile....i'm lost for words...."shaking head"

#16 StoryforU

StoryforU

• Regular Group
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE (96lt1ss @ Nov 23 2003, 10:46 PM)
What I found interesting is the website admimistrator said all those guns were from Vietnam, yet you don't see any M-16's unless I missed them. Plus I had no idea that many Thompson were involved in the Vietnam war. The stuff made it all the way to the 80 without anyone knowing about it, but previous to the 1986 machine gun laws they probably didn't feel it had much value.

The photo was taken in the 80's and these weapons had been there for awhile. The M-16s still had value for modern combat, either with the Vietnamese or their friends (ex-US M16s from Vietnam wound up in Nicaragua and that area during the 1980s).

Thompsons, along with BARs, M1 Garands, 1919A4s, M3 'Greaseguns' and M1/2 carbines, were used to arm the South Vietnamese Army after the French bailed out.

#17 Ben

Ben

• Regular Group
  • 124 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE (John Jr @ Nov 23 2003, 09:38 PM)
Don't be too pissed at the British, they are still too dumb to recognize the value of civilan ownership of guns.

whooa...easy tiger! ohmy.gif

Where does it say that us Brits were responsible for dumping these weapons? The photos are on a UK website that's all.

And anyway, real shootable Thompsons are illegal in the UK but at least they can be decommissioned (dewat) without cutting them up into pieces like you have to do in America. That seems a pretty "dumb" law in my opinion. So, according to your way of thinking, that would make all Americans dumb wouldn't it?

I don't agree with our gun laws either but that's just the way it is so let's cut out the Brit bashing please...

Did anyone see the photo of the MG34's on that website? I had no idea that they were used in Vietnam..

#18 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3456 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 10:18 AM

Ben,
Your point is well taken. Hell, the U.S. farms out anti-terrorist work to the SAS when we want to make sure the job isn't mucked up. Margret Thatcher's resolve in rooting out the Argentinians from The Malvinas during the 1982 Falkland War was truly a profile in courage. She even had to admonish Bush 41 not to go "wobblie" when dealing with Saddam back in 91. Our own FBI turned their arsenal of 1928 Colt Navy TSMGs into manhole covers.

#19 TAB

TAB

• Regular Group
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 12:09 PM

Orwell (Sgt Eric Blair) quite strongly advocated the gun in every home in the 40s. Rather the same as the 2nd amendment, a way to keep government honest.

Anyway, a friend in the UK 'shared' that pic with me last Friday and we both could have wept.

todd

#20 SgtMartin

SgtMartin

• Regular Group
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 01:11 PM

bahaha 'wobblie' i thought my mum was the only person that still uses the word. classic. but back on topic, that picture is so intriguing yet sad. just imagine you could have gone there and dug through it all. what a sad waste.