Holy Crap Batman!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4555 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 25 November 2003 - 09:17 PM

was watching a couple of items on evilBay and go away for a day and look what happens. I stopped watching about 8 hrs before it ended. Last amount I saw was mine at $55! Then last few all hell breaks loose! For a blue print. Who's to say it is for real or not? Check out the other items for sale and see the other print. Wow! Do these people have more money then sense? Duh! And nobody wants my chrome magazine. wink.gif
1921 blue print

#2 Whiskey Brother

Whiskey Brother

• Regular Group
  • 136 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 10:21 PM

$510 bucks for a blueprint???
I've seen them go for much cheaper than that at gun shows. This guy says it is an original, but what difference does that make?

A blueprints a blueprint whether it's 80 years old or 80 minutes.

I'd rather put the $510 towards a "L" drum fund myself...

#3 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 25 November 2003 - 10:57 PM

Unreal what idiots will pay for such garbage. Who can use something like this? More Colt garbage I guess.

Jr

#4 Ben

Ben

• Regular Group
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 06:03 AM

I can't believe who the highest bidder is!! Its a guy from Canada called Brullen. He's been selling off a load of Thompson wood stocks amongst other things. I've emailed him a few times and he's no idiot so there must be something special about that blueprint...

#5 hawksnest

hawksnest

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1008 posts
  • Interests:Class III weapons

Posted 26 November 2003 - 09:22 AM

Perhaps he plans to test the blueprint for fingerprints. John T. Thompson, John N. Blish,Theodore H. Eickhoff, Elmer Koenig, George E. Goll,Oscar V. Payne. Wow!
All kidding aside, I agree with Ben. Brullen is no idiot.

#6 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3453 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 10:16 AM

Could it be that those who consider Colt collectables "garbage" are the ones lacking brain matter?

#7 TSMG28

TSMG28

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 415 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 11:08 AM

IF (and that's a big if) this is really an original blueprint and can be confirmed as such, the price may not seem as insane as it does a first glance. Just ask Tracie the price of some of his "original paperwork". I have seen document collectors pay huge sums for some documents just like we pay for Thompson-related items.

Roger

#8 fred

fred

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:My 1928AC, MGs in general, 1960's toys.

Posted 26 November 2003 - 12:38 PM

If it is an original piece of Thompson history, $510 is not bad at all. Hell, look what the Roger Cox book sells for! And that's a fairly recent item.

#9 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 26 November 2003 - 12:51 PM

Being newbie guy here I'm glad some others spoke up... If this is for sure the real deal, including the provenance given, 510 bucks could be a fantastic price, Had I known of the auction I might have bid higher for it... Look at the money making potential... You could make reprints of it to sell, and I'm sure $24.95 per would be an easy selling price for quality prints. Just because something sells on ebaY™ doesn't make it evil, nor the buyer stupid.....

#10 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3453 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 01:01 PM

ZA3,
You may be new here, but you are a breath of fresh air. Of course there is tremendous significance pertaining to an original 1921 TSMG blueprint. The "blueprints" that sell at gun shows are obviously copies. The reason some ridicule ebay is because there is a record of the selling price for all to see. The absurd money spent on dubious items at gun shows are always later described as incredible bargains. Why? Beacuse there is no public record of the sale.

#11 Murray

Murray

New Zealand Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 404 posts
  • Interests:1921 and 1928 Thompsons, Luger pistols.

Posted 27 November 2003 - 06:44 PM

Me being an old person, and having once spent many hours and a young lad back in the 50's with tears steaming down my face blink.gif from the amonia fumes from the blue print machine, I would swear that document is genuine.
It would be worth the risk, to just own such a thing. It would look great on my wall with all my moden copies of the 1928 drawing that I own.
I will not surprised if it does sell for a big price. cool.gif

#12 giantpanda4

giantpanda4

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2062 posts
  • Interests:Mechanical toys - cars, instruments, and of course - guns. The 1921-28 thompsons are the epitomy of perfection for a mechanical device that fills all my interests!

Posted 27 November 2003 - 07:03 PM

Folks,

There were two drawings for sale on ebay. The other one went for about $350 (same seller). I have contacted the buyer of the "cheaper" one, and he has agreed to make some copies for me to buy. You may see them in VA at the TCA show. Maybe if you want one (but like me cannot afford the original) you too should contact the sellers.

Amazingly, the ammonia story has already helped clear up my sinuses....!