• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Bob

Bob

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 697 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 11:21 PM

I'll be there the 5th and 6th...hope to see some of you in sunny Phoenix biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#22 Bisley45

Bisley45

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, 1911's, Collect & Shoot Colt Pistols and Revolvers, American Civil War, anything that shoots

Posted 29 November 2003 - 01:33 AM

I might as well throw my hat in, my dad was armor and was trained on the M3, his coments going to a gunshow were interesting. He said they never jambed but after a while the internals got worn down and they tended to run away at a light jar or failing to stop when you let off the trigger. As he was active threw the 80's I suspect these guns were quite worn, but still, I've never heard of a Thompson doing that. He got to fire my Uncles (other side of family) M1A1 and said if he could have one he wanted the Thompson.

As an aside I know of a National Guard Armory where they were M3A1's were in stock till 89.

Bob, you have a very nice colection, throw in a UD 42 and a Resing and about all the bases are covered.

BB

#23 Bob

Bob

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 697 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 11:14 AM

Had a Resing, don't know if I really want another rolleyes.gif
UD42 would be cool but they are pretty scarce. As well as the Hyde 35, and the M2 Hyde (400 made).

The M3 does have a weak sear and rather wimpy spring...but they were not intended to last 60 years with heavy use. The Thompson and BAR (or most of JMB designs) are built to last a millennium biggrin.gif

Thompsons have their problems, as any mechanical device can break that's why we all have spare parts!

#24 Waffen Und Bier

Waffen Und Bier

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 629 posts
  • Interests:Like the name says "Guns and beer" (and really hot chicks who like guns and beer).

Posted 29 November 2003 - 01:17 PM

One thing I do remember about the Grease Gun, was you could cock it with one hand by holding the pistol grip and sharply thrusting the gun straight backwards. The inertia would carry the bolt backwards and lock it back. ALWAYS done with an empty gun.

As much as I would not spend 10K on one today. I'm really pissed about the one I lost out on in the late 80's. Damn small town politics.

#25 Bob

Bob

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 697 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 01:31 PM

Ya, that's a John Wayne way to cock one!

Well, I'm off to the range to warm up the ole '21/28...gotta practice for the match on the 14th.
And I need all the practice I can get...well maybe not "need" but "want"! biggrin.gif