Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'suppressed k shooting'.
Well, here we are just two days before Christmas and the Forum in general is sleepy... not much going on, nothing controversial or perplexing, just, well..... Boring! So, I thought I'd re-introduce my Swedish K (M45) project from almost a year ago and detail how I went from seeing a museum pic/display to having a exact (almost) copy of the Vietnam era integral suppressor made. There are many new members and no specific Forum for the "K" so unless the moderators want to open a new Forum topic, here is where it will stay. For the record, I own 2 Andrewski M45's, one built on a Swedish parts kit and the other on a Port Said. I have amassed almost all known accessories for the guns and consider myself a reasonably knowledgeable individual with respect to these guns. My accessories include all parts necessary to assemble a M45, M45C and M45S (the B variant was select fire - semi/auto). Getting parts, especially barrels, trunnions and shrouds is expensive and difficult nowadays. I was sitting at my desk, trolling through all the gun sites and retailers when Google illustrated a number of interesting pics/illustrations of the Swedish K with an integral suppressor. Both pics are included, but one was a color drawing, the other a pic from the Royal Armourie in England. WTF! There is was and I wanted one. The issue of a suppressor on a "K" is the low profile sights, which limit the diameter of the can. So instead of a normal large diameter baffle tube, the can had to be made longer in order to provide the volume necessary to abate the noise and accommodate the interior baffles. Oh, and there had to be room for the barrel and barrel ring nut. I contacte Joe Jones (owner of curtis Tactical in OH) because he loves to do one-off projects and is an artist and engineer. I sent him the pics and asked if he'd like to undertake the project. YES! In order to make this work, I had to prove the basic "K" materials around which he would build/design the unit. This included a barrel, a shroud w/sling points barrel lock nut & front sight. I also sent him a trunnion so he could test the fit and dimensions of the unit compared to OEM. The unit is comprised of four major components. The integral ported barrel/lock nut and expansion unit, the series of threaded baffles themselves, the baffle sleeve with sling ring and the ported can end with a OEM "K" front sight. The original Vietnam CIA/SEAL team units used steel wool discs as baffles, as the units were meant to be disposable. clearly I did not want that, so instead Joe manufactured a more traditional set of threaded baffles (6 in total), a custom ported barrel that threaded into a barrel lock nut and expansion chamber and final an end cap with OEM sight. All parts are manufactured with close tolerances so the initial fit is tight, hence the nylon/rubber mallet. As explained last year, the unit does take a bit of time to install, so the modern pop-on, pop-off expectations do not apply. Except for occasional cleaning, the unit stays on my "K" all the time. I use my other "K" for regular shooting etc. As a note of interest, the actual suppressor itself is the first three components. The end cap is used to house the front sight and as a final expansion chamber. All Baffles and other components are encased in the primary can sleeve. An interior threaded nut and special allen wrench are used to secure the end cap to the primary tube. Finally, a decorative threaded cap screws onto the end of the front cap to complete the unit. As you can see from the pics, the end product is almost an exact replication of the original unit. Operation with 147 grain 9mm (round nose only please) ammo is smooth and "shoot off the back porch" quiet. Squirrels and neighbors both have not a clue. After more than a year of using the unit, I am very, very pleased. Fit and finish are excellent. The can is however, as you can see is long like the original and maybe heavier (with metal baffles vs. steel wool disks). Zero recoil, no gun rise and very "on-target". Best of all, Curtis Tactical stands behind this product and they will replace or repair any item no questions asked. Total delivered price for me (beta unit) was $1,200. I figure with the barrel and shroud you can add another $500 or so (if you can find the parts). If anyone has questions about this project, or the "K" in general, just ask! I may be able to help.