Mystery WWI Revolver

I've had this for several years but have not found it listed in a book to identify it positively. Top is marked Md 1915. There are a few markings on the side A*F and 8M/M. I believe it to be a Spanish copy of a Belgian or French revolver. I've seen some discussion on Gunboards about these but nobody had a positive ID. Thought I would throw it up here to see if anyone had a book with a positive ID. Not sure on the caliber as it's larger than 8mm, I am guessing it was rechambered. It shoots 38S&W nicely.

- Ron

DSC_0320.JPG

DSC_0322.JPG

• Upvote 1

Ron,

How many rounds does the cylinder hold? I looked through the "Hayes Handgun Omnibus," and I think it may be a copy of a Belgian made 8mm "Pieper Bayard 1912 American." They are supposed to hold 7 rounds. One item noted is "Unusual yoke cylinder lock." Yours looks very similar to the one in the book.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Hayes Handgun Omnibus? Are you one of the three people that bought that book... I have the fancy smancy copy if you need it for your collection.

I think he might have sold 4 copies. It's good for stuff like this, but I haven't referenced it much. I think the copy I have will do...Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• 2 weeks later...
I like to think that I have a pretty extensive reference library, but this one is a stumper. That suggests that the gun was probably made in small numbers and/or likely was not adopted by the military or police forces of any nation.

I like to think that I have a pretty extensive reference library, but this one is a stumper. That suggests that the gun was probably made in small numbers and/or likely was not adopted by the military or police forces of any nation.

I believe you are correct. It seems that it was built for a military purpose (evidence of a lanyard ring on the butt), but either was never adopted or issued in any number.

Do I get some sort of major award for the first stump the experts? Maybe a nice leg lamp since we've not arrived at a definitive identification.

I have one or two other oddball military items I will pull out and photograph over the coming weeks.

- Ron

I believe you are correct. It seems that it was built for a military purpose (evidence of a lanyard ring on the butt), but either was never adopted or issued in any number.

Do I get some sort of major award for the first stump the experts? Maybe a nice leg lamp since we've not arrived at a definitive identification.

I have one or two other oddball military items I will pull out and photograph over the coming weeks.

- Ron

Ron,

Yes, you get the first "I Stumped The Experts" award, but I think I found the pistol of which yours is a copy. A leg lamp is an great suggestion for the trophy.

I look forward to other posts like this. It has the makings of becoming a very fun forum if we can get some further participation.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com