Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Colt New Service

I bought this last week at the gunshow... Wasn't looking for it but the person offered two of them to me for $300 bucks.... Couldn't, "just say no". Anyhow just trying to figger out the last bit about the markings on the back-strap of this one. Thru the miracle of search engines I have the PPCL1 deciphered but what do you suppose the 4.E. 27 9 might represent? This is serial #3682 circa 1902.

Edit: Good Grief! I really don't know where Candadia is... I suppose somewhere's north of us... *sigh*

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p178/z3bigdaddy/Thompson%20Stuff/PPCL1NewService20042013a_zps78f761ed.jpg

Edited by Z3BigDaddy
  • Upvote 1

Blaine,

Some Canadian Military firearms have unit markings on them. Ross Rifles of the same era can be found with many unit markings on them. I'm fairly certain that's what the markings on your Colt are...But I don't know the specifics about them. If you look at the Ross Rifle forum on milsurps.com, you can see some examples. Perhaps Canuck can chime in here with more about the sequences of numbers and Canadian Mlitary hierarchy...

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I'm reaching out to some of my more knowledgeable friends. I have a theory (really just a guess) on the 4 and the 27 but the E has me baffled and I don't want to lead you astray.

The PPCLI has been around a long time. My great grandfather, who served in WWI, held them in very high regard.

Will be back when I learn more!

Looks like you done good for $300. Not sure of the markings,but you have an Old Model New Service in 455 Eley which is not as common as the WWI contract guns in .455.

Looks like some holes were drilled in the hammer ? What is the serial number range ? Does it have the hammer block safety ? Looks like it was made prior to 1910. Still original caliber or has it been modified to 45Colt ?

Looks like you done good for $300. Not sure of the markings,but you have an Old Model New Service in 455 Eley which is not as common as the WWI contract guns in .455.

Looks like some holes were drilled in the hammer ? What is the serial number range ? Does it have the hammer block safety ? Looks like it was made prior to 1910. Still original caliber or has it been modified to 45Colt ?

No $300 bucks for 2 of em.... That would be $150 if you want to be technical... This has been bored to chamber and shoot 45 LC and the rifling is barely there as he used it with shot shells.... Plus it is a transition model as it has one hard rubber grip and one wood grip... ;-)

Edited by Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy. You have a desriable Canadian Colt NS revolver. If you post the pictures on the British Militaria Forum, under the handgun section, a bloke there called GrantR Canada will reply quickly and give you chapter and verse on your New Service.

http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/

Regards

AlanD

Sydney