Colt Thompson #7894

Does anybody have a copy of Gordons book? I'm looking to find what he has on Colt #7894, #1587, #101. Who currently has them or are they cut up? I have a complete matching buttstock,wood is numbered also, butt plate, slide for #7894. I have a buttstock with butt plate #1587 and slide #101 on it. Both are non cross bolt stock with milled swivels. 7894 I found last week-end. With the other parts I have on EvilBay.

Thanks. No it's not for sale either. Unless I trade it for a hard case!! LOL!!

Mike,

The butt stock slides on Colt Thompsons were not numbered, just the stock and butt plate. If you have stocks with numbered slides they are early Savage made butt stocks for the post Colt guns. For the stocks to be Colt they should have a script or stamped "R" on the inside of the butt plate. The wood, of course, should also have the anchor logo. The slide portion shoud have a nickel colored catch, but no numbering.

Hope this helps.

Arthur,

Yes, you are correct that the milled sling swivel woud be the giveaway. I was basing my conclusion on the numbered slides which I presumed Mike meant were numbered on the underside and matched the stock and butt plate numbers. If, in fact, the slide numbers were marked on the external portion then yes, it would appear that someone numbered them to match a receiver. My guess would be that this was sometimes done in police agencies that probably had more than one gun.

I overlooked the slling swivel issue in my original post, but my contention was that these stocks are likely not Colt/Remington stocks, but later Savage or early WWII varieties.

Mike,

We gotta know... do they have Remington Anchors? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/unsure.gif