BAR Gunsmith Wanted

Dan Block maybe ? On the site as deerslayer I think. He builds wood too. Bet he can

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, all. I'm in a similar situation: got the complete parts kit, but I have the PhilOrd receiver in an incomplete state. I've seen a couple people reference a complete OOW receiver for their kits, but really I'm interested in completing the receiver I have. I haven't found a build on these anywhere online that I can follow, which is pretty weird. I can do it without guidance, but it will sure take longer. I can't really glean anything from an FN-D build on WeaponsGuild that I've seen referenced several times on sites. That one is a sheet metal build.

(1) Anyone have a link to any amount of a work/build on a receiver? Or have a contact for a little guidance?

(2) I don't want to step into the danger zone of being capable of converting to a FA, so does anyone have a comment on the keeping within the legal confines of semi-auto construction on one of these?

(3) I tried joining the WWIIBARMAN Yahoo group and was summarily rejected.

Sure would appreciate a some info on this one. TIA.

There's no great mystery about building a BAR. I've built two (on OOW receivers) and I'm not a "gunsmith." The only halfway hard part is getting the barrel on tight, and indexed, and setting the proper headspace. There are draw marks on the barrel and receiver that have to be lined up. Normally, the barrel will screw up hand tight to a point less than 1/4" before the draw marks align. Then you have to use a barrel wrench or a really heavy-duty strap wrench to tighten it the rest of the way. (The receiver is flat-sided, so it can be clamped directly to a work bench between pieces of wood.) If you can't get the draw marks to line up regardless of how much torque you apply (within reason), then you can carefully file a tiny amount off the barrel shoulder until they do. (This procedure is described in TM 9-1211 (1942).)

Then you need a set of "go" and "no-go" headspace gages. With a new OOW receiver, the headspace will initially be too tight. You adjust the headspace by grinding the back of the bolt lock where it bears against the recess in the receiver.

Try again. Several on this forum belong to that group and had no problem joining.

(3) I tried joining the WWIIBARMAN Yahoo group and was summarily rejected.

+1 on what RoscoeTurner said. I am moderator on the WWII BARMAN group and haven't rejectected anyone, the application didn't get to my inbox. You also may find a person here or on the WWII BARMAN group geographicly close who has undertaken such a project.

As AlexanderA said the only difficult part is installing the Barrel. Everything else is cake once you know where everthing fits in

George

Thanks for all the replies. My nephew has finally started working on them. He is supposed to build two. Parkerizing begins tomorrow. He has clocked the barrels, as he called it. Hopefully he will have them done in about a month. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

Have always liked the BAR, but after getting to shoot a couple of them at OFASTS the past three years I had to have one. Not FA, but it's the next best thing.

To be honest , with Thompsons / Greaseguns / Reisings to fill the FA light class and beltfed '17 and A4s FA to fill the FA heavy class , I really find my current OOW semi to be on par with my old sold-to-friend Group Ind. FA BAR in shooting fun. We got together for a side by side shoot , and I was afraid I'd suffer seller's remorse , but that was not so.

The open bolt FA was fun , but the semi was so much more accurate I would be happy with either .

I like the OOW semi so much I'm trying to build a pair of semi-ANM2s as USMC Iwo Jima " stingers" . Thier floating barrels will not be so accurate as a OOW , and a FA's 12-1500 RPM would be a hoot , but where would you come up with one ?

After building them , I'll put one up for trade towards a 1941 Johnson LMG semi.

Chris

Hello All,

I purchased the receiver from OOW and sent them the barrel to index, they sent it back to me . Its fairly easy to build up from that point.

If you don't already have this link, save it. It can help with any build questions.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:2vD7bLf6ZzsJ:stevespages.com/pdf/browning_1918a2_shop_manual.pdf+m1918+browning+automatic+rifle+manual&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgSPhKIfXbC4kCRfRXVE2FRNfm1MezdMmuRlfOVFZ09zYul0qk8DC69ISSQw2wojMJA54Ix3Nx7vY3PMAKyhWmUg-6RPs-8aOiwIHn922I0mihlX05-NXCgzF_4nfiAvyPMSLk-&sig=AHIEtbTJVYH6GBSg26n-lVFul2FRmLDjtQ

According to Jim Ballou's book, the Army considered issuing a semiauto-only BAR in the 1920's. It was Springfield Armory's work on the semiautomatic rifle (culminating in the Garand) that killed that idea. So the idea of a semi BAR is not new.

The OOW semi BAR maks a fine rifle as long as you don't have to carry it very far. Let's face it, considering the price, it's primarily a collector's piece.

Let's face it, considering the price, it's primarily a collector's piece.

I couldn't disagree more.

If my $15 - 25 ,000 MGs are shooters , why would a $4,000 piece be a safe queen ?

Esp. if it shoots like a house afire ?

Chris