Photography Practice

Kilroy

Haha, I still need to get around to doing a budget build. I just noticed the markings for fire, safe etc and thought it might have been a FA.

Andrew

No, theyre just there for decoration. A lot of lowers have them like that. My favorite that I saw was siesta, fiesta, donkey show. Edited by Kilroy

No, theyre just there for decoration. A lot of lowers have them like that. My favorite that I saw was siesta, fiesta, donkey show.

That's great haha. I've seen other humorous ones, but not that. I should mess around with some photography on mine.

Andrew

• 4 weeks later...

NYtQSPE.jpg

My pseudo-OSS Hi-Standard silenced .22 pistol. The pistols were issued to OSS agents for covert work. There are stories where Wild Bill Donovan went into President Roosevelts office and fired the pistol into the garbage can of wet news papers while the president had his back turned. The president turned around and asked Donovan if he was ok, as he thought he was coughing. It could be urban legend.

Supposedly with these pistols they disabled the safety so it just acted as a slide lock and not as a safety. This prevent the clack of the slide from giving something away. As I understand the standard operating procedure for this pistol would be to fill the suppressor with shaving cream and load a magazine into the pistol. They would then fire one shot and let the pistol fire automatically and immediately put a piece of tape over the muzzle. This would burn the oxygen out of the suppressor and get rid of the first round pop. By taping the muzzle and by letting it cycle automatically (using the next round as a plug in the chamber) it would keep the can oxygen depleted to be quieter for the follow up shot and the slide lock applied. When the time was right, the pistol would then be pressed against the intended targets chest directly over the heart so not only did they suffer from lead poisoning but also the gases coming straight out of the muzzle into the body cavity. So the story goes.

I went back and edited a lot of my posts as photo bucket has been giving me issues but I dont have all the original pictures.

• Upvote 1

Trying out the compilation shot here with my M1C USMC M1952 sniper.

9q1F00y.jpg

I traded out my M1897 Trench Gun because I wanted an original finish piece. I tried to recreate the picture previously taken. I think the other still looks better. Guess I got lucky with that one.

fly5nxv.jpg

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Model 1894, 1895, 1896, 1897 and 1898. The '94 is a US PROPERTY marked rifle, one of 1,800 purchased by the government during World War I to give to the Signal Corps. to protect the spruce trees in the Pacific Northwest. Sometimes referred to as "spruce guns".

5QV31Lf.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

NYtQSPE.jpg

My pseudo-OSS Hi-Standard silenced .22 pistol. The pistols were issued to OSS agents for covert work. There are stories where Wild Bill Donovan went into President Roosevelts office and fired the pistol into the garbage can of wet news papers while the president had his back turned. The president turned around and asked Donovan if he was ok, as he thought he was coughing. It could be urban legend.

Supposedly with these pistols they disabled the safety so it just acted as a slide lock and not as a safety. This prevent the clack of the slide from giving something away. As I understand the standard operating procedure for this pistol would be to fill the suppressor with shaving cream and load a magazine into the pistol. They would then fire one shot and let the pistol fire automatically and immediately put a piece of tape over the muzzle. This would burn the oxygen out of the suppressor and get rid of the first round pop. By taping the muzzle and by letting it cycle automatically (using the next round as a plug in the chamber) it would keep the can oxygen depleted to be quieter for the follow up shot and the slide lock applied. When the time was right, the pistol would then be pressed against the intended targets chest directly over the heart so not only did they suffer from lead poisoning but also the gases coming straight out of the muzzle into the body cavity. So the story goes.

I went back and edited a lot of my posts as photo bucket has been giving me issues but I dont have all the original pictures.

wanted to redo this photo. New suppressor, (closer clone to the original OSS suppressor), an OSS stiletto and patch.

ODKjerl.jpg

• 1 month later...

I had a book that had the Donovan story in it from a first or second hand account ( can't remember ) . Best I recall , Donovan walked over with the pistol under his coat and a sand filled range bag in his hands . When he walked in , the President was on the phone and motioned for Donovan to come in and have a seat , then turned to look out the window to finish the call . Donovan up turned the trash can and placed the sandbag on top of it and emptied 10 shots into it . He then wrapped the barrel in a handkerchief and walked around the desk and handed the pistol to the President grip first . The President quickly ended his call and Donovan then explained what he had just done .

Chris

• 1 month later...

4lgfieT.jpg

Did you ever try photographing with nature as background, its more hustle to get the set looking good, but I think it is worth it.

What I have in mind is a lot of greenery, with upper part of frame being less than third far background, something like a field or woods, and lower 2 thirds being the set itself. And set, what I saw being photographed some time ago, was a patch of rolled grass (was supposed to present a sniper lair in tall grass overlooking some field) with Wermacht helmet and Walther P38 in holster next to a rug on the ground with canteen and some food on it and then scoped Kar98 2 thirds on the rolled grass next to the helmet and the rest, that is barrel, in the tall grass, pointing towards the field off to the right of the frame.

I tried finding the pictures, but with little success. If I find it, I'll post it here. If nothing then something similar, so you can get the idea.

Edited by dejan91

4lgfieT.jpg

Did you ever try photographing with nature as background, its more hustle to get the set looking good, but I think it is worth it.

Well, not to get too political with this, but I live in an area that used to be very red, now a lot of new residents have come into the area and our last election went very purple and the counties surrounding me a definite shade of blue. My point is, I have beautiful areas that I think I could do a Guadalcanal or Tarawa theme but Im afraid what one of these people would say or do if they say me trying to take pictures of firearms outside.