Richardson Replies To Fliegenheimer

I don’t monitor the Web, so it is only when someone alerts me to a posting that they believe should be called to my attention, am I aware of what’s being said. Recently Mr. Arthur Fliegenheimer made some observations about me which I feel I should respond to. Mr. Fliegenheimer’s comments were well taken and I am not offended or is this intended to be argumentative. Comparing me to the likes of John Martz and Michelangelo is flattering. But there does seem to be a lack of understanding regarding my situation which I should address so that I am criticized for my real faults of which I’m sure I have many.

As many of you know I am retired and I work on the Thompson stuff as a lifetime hobby. I did get way behind when I had to salvage a construction project in Central America after the contractor failed. That is mostly done although I go back and forth because that is my retirement home. I was just beginning to catch up on the Thompson stuff when I lost my vision. I started to make a new run of receivers but I had to stop because by the time I was finishing up the last batch of receivers I was no longer able to see well enough to continue on. I have been through hell with a cornea transplant, sick from medication, cataracts etc. I still have stitches in one eye and I cannot see very well with either eye. Since no one seems to be willing or able to do what I do, at least for what I charge, people will just have to be patient with me. I will recover my sight better than ever (they say) and I will get back to providing my products off the shelf, but it will take some time.

As for hiring a regular assistant, no one else seems to want to make Thompson parts for the joy of Thompson and I don’t charge enough for my products to afford regular help. There is not enough volume to keep a shop going unless I were to expand and give up retirement. Anyway, thanks to all my old friends who have been wishing me well and I apologize to those I have disappointed. It seems that Mother Nature hates old people who make Thompsons. For anyone interested, I do have two 1928 style semi-auto receivers left (no other receivers).

I am not just sitting around though. I do what I can. I have hired a part time assistant which is helping greatly.

Doug,

Perfection takes time. As the people who have purchased your items will tell. They are the best out there. But as we all know, ones health is the most important thing in the world. I know, I've been there. Take your time and get better. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif We'll see you at the next shoot.

Doug, I again would like to say, I hope that you regain your eye sight soon, and I wish you and your Wife the very best! It's been a pleasure corresponding with you for the last 15 years. I wish that it will be another!

Doug,

Never have had the pleasure of meeting you personally, but I want to thank you

for all of the Thompson dedication, products, research and all!

A very speedy recovery and all the best,

Zamm

I have had the chance to meet Doug and spend some real time with him at the SAR show last year. He is, a most amazing person with a huge knowledge of every thing Thompson. I have purchased parts from him to help me restore my seven Thompsons and the parts he make are in my opinion better than the originals.

I also am an engineer like Doug, but I don't even come close to his class.

Nothing to a person like Doug's could be worse than to lose ones vision

even for a short time.

We Thompson collectors "down under" wish you a very speedy recovery Doug.

Kind regards

Murray. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Doug, get well soon. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif Perhaps, when fully recovered, you could pass on some of your skill, enthusiasm, and dedication to your craft to a new generation of gunsmiths with the 'Thompson fever'. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif Regards, Walter