Mag Catch Mod For 27a1.

They say a picture is worth a 1000 words and for me it's true. I've read about the mod to the mag catch latch but if someone could post a few pictures or drawing of how to do this mod it would make it much eaiser for me to understand what's going on with it. At first I wanted to modify/change the mag catch so I could use G.I. mags but one of the guys at Kahr Arms said it was very complicated and that it'd be eaiser to just modify the mags. After reading the mod in the FAQ section I think I'd once again rather try to mod the mag catch so I won't have to mess with each and every mag that I buy. As one person here said, that would keep the mags in their original condition so that both semi-auto (with mod mag catch) and full auto guys can use the mags. Thanks in advance for any help. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif Thanks, that helps out some. I'm sure when I get the gun next week and take it apart to do the mod it'll make even more sence. One other question, does anyone sell a mag catch that's already been modified for use in the semi-auto so it'll take the full auto mags ? Could I just get a full auto mag catch and install it and not have to mess with my semi-auto catch or is there more to it then that. I'd really like to save the stock catch and buy a different one to install or modify , who sell them and approx. how much are they. Also, ammuntionstore.com had Thompson mags for $12.95/6 or more, has anyone bought any of them, are they good quality? CDNN also has 30 rnd. mags for just under $15 each and they're listed as Ex. like new, which would be the better deal? Thanks for all the help. I've wanted a Thompson 27A1 for most of my life and I'm finally getting one. I don't want to be disapointed in it when it get it. I really do hope that it works good, it's an older Auto Ord. gun, not a Kahr Arms so it should be ok. Talk to ya'll later.

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif Thanks, I just saw that in the FAQ section, LOL. Guess I should spend more time looking and less time asking questions. I really can't believe that I'm really getting a Thompson, it's like a dream come true. I had to sell off a Garrett Arms '63 Sharps (paper ctg.,.54cal.) to get the money to buy it but it's worth it. I'd wanted a '63 Sharps most of my life too, but not as much as a 27A1. I'm sure I'll have more questions after I get the gun. Thanks for the help. Talk to ya'll later.

The mag catch isn't that difficult to modify. I did mine by hand with a couple files, all told it took about 2 hours to get it tweaked just right. If you do modify it yourself, the easiest way to see how much you have to remove from the catch is to put some sort of marking agent on the magazine itself around the hole (I used some paint), insert the mag and push the catch up against the mag. Be aware that the new Kahr guns are marked as Auto Ordnance. The easiest way to tell they are made by Kahr is the serial number starts with a "K" and they are marked Worcester, Mass. Don't be too put off if you do get a Kahr gun though, I have one and have been extremely pleased with it (put over 1400 rounds through it in the month I've had it with no problems).

This gun was bought by the guy I'm getting it from several years ago. He put it in the safe and didn't shoot it much so I'm pretty sure it'll be a real Auto Ord. gun and not a Kahr Arms. I wanted to keep the stock parts because of collectors value. I'll put the stock semi-auto mag and mag catch in a bag after I lightly oil them and put them up. Then I can install the modified one and use G.I. mags without having to mess with them. I still need to find a mag pouch of some kind. I don't want to spend $65-75 bucks for a piece of cloth,LOL, so I'll have to look around a bit. I did find a M-3 mag pouch that should work fine for $10 bucks. I'll have to give em' a call and check into it. Talk to ya'll later.