Baby Face Nelson Replica Colt Mini Submachine Gun

Thanks, just set the rivets on the grip hanger. Fit perfect no issues. Mounted the wood grip, same, fit great. Engraver Monday.

I'm keeping it with the original patina as if it was made in 1934 or so. Internals seem good.

A big thanks to CJL, he made this work for me.

Who's next ?

Just finished mine about an hour ago- Go for it, a great project. Everybody should have one- I'll post this on the Lebman thread too.

OCM

DSCN8052.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Was brought to my attention, by a Colt expert today, that the ( FBI) photo of the Lebman converted Colt 38 Super, recovered from Dillinger, in St Paul 1934, is actually a Post WWII gun, specifically 1965.

A clear recent photo of this brought this to light.

Whew, mine's a Colt 45 Auto. Don't have to drill out my 1933 Colt 38 Super- close !

OCM

Edited by OCM

Was brought to my attention, by a Colt expert today, that the ( FBI) photo of the Lebman converted Colt 38 Super, recovered from Dillinger, in St Paul 1934, is actually a Post WWII gun, specifically 1965.

A clear recent photo of this brought this to light.

Whew, mine's a Colt 45 Auto. Don't have to drill out my 1933 Colt 38 Super- close !

This one is a replica, yes. Evidence is the serial number and the 5-slot comp.

The Dillinger pistol is, however, definitely a Super .38. You can plainly see that on all period photos (crimp in magazine), and we know the serial number of the Dillinger pistol -- which is for a Super .38. Also, we know the capacity of the Dillinger pistol to be 22 (it's in the Dillinger files), and there were no 22-round magazines for the .45, only for the .38.

What I want to know is where all the .45-calibre Lebman conversions came from. I know of at least four (in addition to the unfinished one found on Lebman's workbench), most or all of which seem to be in the FBI collection. The Dillinger files don't mention them. One of them MIGHT be the one that Baby Face Nelson used at Little Bohemia, but the FBI would have mentioned that in the files, I think. The provenance of the other three is completely unknown. How do we even know they are Lebman conversions? Well, they all have the unique 7-slot compensator made by Lebman, and fit the overall pattern. We can't be sure, however.

Cheers

HANS

Sandy,

Well,-there have always been rumors that the FBI shot the wrong man at the Biograph. Supposedly this bothered Hoover till the day he died.

This gun might show that JHD was alive and armed in 1965.

On the other hand, while we are not permitted to deceive the FBI, the reverse is not true.

In any case, now you will be on the lookout for a 1965 Colt for another project.

Jim C

There's a 1933 factory nickel 38 Super on the market, however the guy wants your first born male child as part of the sell. This is close to the same serial number as the one taken from JD in Tucson.

My only problem is getting CJL to make a nickel plated grip hanger and nickel rivets & a nickel plated 7 slot muzzle break to be correct and convert it to a Lebman model. Oh, need a set of pearls too.

Naw they are buddies of mine, they like this stuff. It's my wife I'd worry about. " you did WHAT to that expensive gun " .

It's not mutilation, it's historical enhancement.

• 1 month later...

Full Auto working Colt 38 Super, converted. I think it's a mid 70s series 70 model if I'm not mistaken. A movie prop. I think it was used in Public Enemies, as the company that owns this supplied all the weapons for the movie.

OCM

Edited by OCM

I'd be interested in a Hamer "Old Lucky" replica revolver, even though I don't really care for nickeled guns.

Darryl

Edited by darrylta

Never thought of that.

You could probably make one- Be a project is all. toss bags of money at it. A good engraver could probably come close from photos. Bone grips as I remember. Start with a factory nickel single action Colt 45, that might be a trick.

I think Hamer's sold for like 150K, this would be considerably cheaper.....

I got into collecting the nickeled guns a bit, due to the fact they were a status symbol with the outlaws, like the 1933 Essex Terraplane was to the Dillinger gang. Got a picture of Barrow standing with two nickel 1911 45s, I think one or both recovered with the death car.

Dillinger had the one you've seen, a nickel 38 Super taken from him at Tucson, he got from Wolf & Klar. Hamer had a couple also, but probably more of a Texas thing.

Got a picture of Barrow standing with two nickel 1911 45s, I think one or both recovered with the death car.

Very interesting! Could you possibly post that for our edification? I've only seen blued M1911s in connection with the Barrows.

Cheers

HANS

Page 144, Bonnie & Clyde a twenty-first-century Update, by James Knight.