MG42 tripod needs a little work by an expert

michaelkih

I have a tan WW2 tripod that needs a little work.

It is all original and has wear with the red primer showing through all over it which I like, however it started doing two things recently.

#1 Every now and then, when I squeeze the handle to pull the trigger it stops and won't let me squeeze it all the way. This causes it to not fire the gun. I have looked but can't see anything wrong. Most of the stuff is hidden.

#2 About 1 out of every 3 times I rotate the knob to elevate and lower the gun, the knob gets locked up in the direction I was going. Then I have to back off, and go again faster and it'll work. The gears all look fine and I oiled everything up. Not sure what in the world is causing this.

I'm a little hesitant to dive into taking apart this tripod, so I was wondering if there is anyone out there that is comfortable with working on these, that could do just that for me. Please let me know, and thank you.

Hello.. I had the same problem with mine.. I had binding in the trigger because one of the parts was bent. I found it by using a mirror. I'm not entirely sure without seeing it but the knob can easily move in and out if I remember and lock. It's been awhile since I had it out for a movie shoot put pics would also help..

David