Off Topic...but Looks Cool With A Thompson

Description from eBay "Offered is a very nice WW II era M1 front seam, swivel bale helmet with a WW II parachute silk helmet cover. The helmet had the original dark green paint and there are no dings or rust. The liner has the original OD # 3 web suspension with the often missing nape strap. Leather sweat band shows use, but has a long life ahead of it. The camo cover is made of WW II era parachute silk. Parachute silk was often used for this purpose, and it's use was made famous by Sergeant Saunders on the old television series Combat. It would be very hard to upgrade this helmet. Chin straps are replacements, everything else is original. "

That's neat. Gotta pick up some para material one day to do that to my helmet.

A hundred dollars for a steel pot with reproduction parts? I know nothing about the military webgear, but if these are the prices, save up for a real gun and scrap the fake accessories.

Give me a break!

Jr http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Also this is WAY OFF TOPIC. Needs to be moved and quick. Lets not let the board turn into an ebay advertisment for reproduction WW2 helmets.

Line em up, and mow em down there Johnny Jr.... God forbid we stray off topic...

Gueeze Louize in a Summer Breeze...http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/images/smilies/bigun2.gif

Overkill211,

Not a bad WWII impression. Not to be too critical or anything, but you have your leggings on backwards. The laces and hooks go on the outside of the legs, not the inside. Your impression will look more authentic if the equipment is on correctly. Nice job though and nice picture.

I believe the stripes on the Garand are British markings applied to Lend-Lease guns meaning, "Not .303 Calibre". The idea was to keep Tommys from trying to load the wrong round, like you could get .303 in a Garand clip! Is this right, guys? Nice impression!

Enjoyed seeing your outfit, Overkill. Are you into reinacting?

Thanks gijive, I was wondering about those leggings. There didn't seem to be a "wrong" feel either way. (They didn't hook on each other & trip me.) I need to get the uniform dirty, too. It's still reproduction fresh. There just isn't mud in AZ often enough.

The stripes do indeed point to a lend-lease. The barrel has the correct cold-stamping above the gas cylinder. It is NOT a WW2 lend-lease, though. My serial number places its birth at the Springfield armory in January of 1945. The "official" paint stripe scheme used in WW2 would have been at the rear of the front handguard - a single red stripe with a black 30-06 painted on top. I think this one was sent to the UK during Korea.

(BTW, the "yellow" stripe is actually white... but age, linseed oil, and the shade I was in make it look yellow.)

I wouldn't be opposed to joining a reenacting group, but all of the 5th Rangers groups I've found were in the Eastern US. Quite a trip from AZ. Besides, I'd like to wait until I manage to acquire an M1928A1 (a long-running dream of mine, and the reason I found this board). I'd really love to find an M1918, but it would take 5 years to save enough for one of those at my current cash surplus rate.

That's what I thought single red stipe with .300 and or 30-06 marked on WWII british grands. Kick myself I scrubbed the fadded red out of a spare handguard and ten years later I wish I would have just left it for the colector value....

BB

I was reading Tracie Hill's book when this Asian broad walked into the bar with a new type of swimsuit on. She was wearing it perfectly and it really made her unusually gigantic.....

Have I strayed off topic... Opps

I mowed the bitch down with my M1 Thompson. Back on topic now.........

Geez