Stolen Thompson recovered in Lytle Texas

I bought my first WH 1928 Thompson in 1992 and I paid $1,500.00 for it. I was a SOT then and it was from the West Hurley factory as they had ‘found’ some NOS receivers, or that was the story. Of course it was a jam-o-matic model and I sold it before I found this board or I could have sent out to PK but that as they say, is history.

Kind of interesting the prices of the West Hurley guns in 1992. That was right around the same time frame my uncle said he bought mine ( I think 1991). He said he paid $1800 and had the choice between the Bridgeport M1 that he bought or the Bridgeport 28A1 for the same price... He says he still can't figure out why he went with the M1 over the 28..... Dunno, but I'm still happy with it being "just" an M1!

My neighbor has a WH 1928 model he bought in 1981 $639.00 plus tax. He still has the receipt.

He told me that the dealer asked if he wanted a "new" Thompson or a World War II model.

Not knowing he chose the WH, because it was new, not 40+ years old (in 1981)

That is very similar to my experience. When I was first searching for a Thompson it was suggested that I might want a "new" one instead of some old war relic. Or even worse one of those old Colt clunkers from 1921! So I happily obtained my very own Westie, 248A, directly from Ira Trask. Including exchange rates, customs and excise taxes it was $600.00 Canadian. In those days, in Canada, if the government trusted you with a gun they trusted you with any gun. Not so much today .......

Don't mean to hijack the thread I'm glad to see this Thompson go home!

• Upvote 1

What kind of idiot keeps an illegal(not registered to him and srolen property) machine gun in the car with him, much less in plain sight!

Anyone who makes a lifework from crime isn't the sharpest stick to begin with.

• Upvote 1

Bought my WH 28 NIB in 1979. Had a choice of a Savage M1 or the WH 28 for $650. Went with the WH because I wanted the "Gangster Gun" that would use the drum. Knew nothing else about them except they were cool. Still have it today and after a PK job on it years ago am glad that is the one I selected.

Same story here....in 1977 dealer asked if I wanted a new one or an old one. Not knowing the difference I choose the new one; a WH 1928. With sales tax it was $579.00. and I also still have the receipt. Unlike many WH's this one came with all USGI parts (except for the buffer pilot which has been replaced). It even has a Lyman adjustable sight and has run 100% from day one. I got lucky I suppose.