Well I Bought A Drum

Actually, I have yet to encounter but 1 WH L Drum that did not function properly.

Now, the C Drums are the ones that have problems.

Before sending it off and spending more cash, try it out. It may actually work fine for you.

BTW, not a bad deal.

Over the years, I managed to buy both G.I. drum halves. Do you suppose I could get a spring from Earle and use the rotor and key from a Khar drum? Or, would you guess that this is not an easy thing to do?

Merle can put a spring that will spit out 50 rounds into the current 10 round rotors. The newest batch of 10 rounders actually has a pretty good spring but it seems like the best you can get out of it consitantly is about 45 rounds. Its still kind of spendy as he machines little parts (that are then attached to the rotor) so you can take the rotor apart in the future if you need to service it. Some times he has had 50 round rotors on hand, give him a call and see what he's got.

I've had him remake 2 rotors in the past and they are top notch!

Dan

Don't rush that drum off just yet before trying it out. I have owned 3 West Hurley L drums and ALL of them functioned as well as my 2 WWII Bridgeport drums. I don't know why people continue to badmouth the WH 50 rounders, there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. IT's the WH "C" 100 round drums that have the problems and were manufactured poorly. And while we are on the subject of sending these drums to Merle B. for work. I sent him a WH "C" drum and then re-sent it to him and I must say that I wasn't particulary impressed with his work or his attention to detail. He may be good at replacing springs, or greasing, but that's about all I can say... and he ain't cheap either! If you do have problems I would suggest just asking for suggestions after you have tried it out at least a couple of times.

Mike Hammer http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/dry.gif