Colt 1925 eye candy

I recently received pictures of a 1925 colt that I thought I'd share. These are better than I've seen in publication or online. With the similarity to the R75 and R80 Monitor, I thought they were pretty good reference material. For privacy concerns, I did obliterate the serial number in the picture though it is in the low 100,000 range.

The pictured gun is not in the US and I believe no longer capable of firing. Looks like a little subtle welding can be seen.

The front grip definitely has a little "step" for the magazine cover. Maybe later R75's had this inletted in?

BAR25.jpg

BAR251.jpg

BAR252.jpg

Nice pics. Interesting that it has a Military style barrel on it, I wonder if it is a transitional model. There was a Model 1924 that had the slim chamber profile military style barrel, no bipod, mag cover or ejection port cover. The 1925 and R75 were the same model; Receivers were marked 1925 until aprox 1931 and then swiched over to being marked R75, somewhere between 102,XXX and 104,XXX from my records

And nice catch on the fore grip, on my R75 parts kit the mag cover was definitely inletted in

George

Yes, it's where the bipod would attach. It was an odd mechanism with a locking ring, kind of hard to figure out how it attached even when it was right in front of you.

The Commercial BARs started at serial # C100251 and went up to C 105299. All the Commercial BARs seemed to be mixed together, the 1919 (Bar with the recoil spring relocated in the stock), 1924, 1925/R75, R75A and R80 all shared the same serial number block, they were numbered as they were ordered/produced.

My Theory on why the 1925 was later changed to R75 is the 1919, the 1924, and 1925 had it's own roll marking die. When the Monitor (factory designation R80) came out instead of making a new rolling die they ground off the '1925' and hand stamped the model in the new blank space. So the '1925' die became the new die for the Monitor (stamped with the factory designation R80), any new production 1925 (now stamped with the factory designation R75) and R75A with the removable barrel.

George

PS; your monitor build looks great, I've been enjoying watching it come together