West Hurley 1928 Semi Question

Hey everybody!

I'm new here and just got a 1970's West Hurley S/A. I'm pretty handy with rifles as far as dismantling and building. When I look at the Thompson lower I am confused how it operates. Is there a diagram that shows the parts close up and maybe step by step instructions how to chnge some small lower parts. Some of my lower parts are WORN out! Looking for any help at all....

Thanks guys!

Tom

Hmmmm....I'm confused. You say that your parts are worn out, but yet you can't see those parts close up without a diagram, and that you wish to change some small lower parts? 1- Your gun is a 1927A1 NOT a 1928 Submachine Gun. 2-By replacing your internal parts, you won't be able to convert it. 3- I get the feeling that your fishing for conversion info. 4-If that is the case, (Whether or not it is, I'm unaware...Your Post sounds fishy to me) NO ONE here will give you any instruction on converting a SA to FA!. 5-Parts can differ from the early 1927A1 Guns to the later ones. I suggest you try out www.e-gunparts.com or perhaps you can obtain an owners manual from Kahr.

If I remember e-gunparts has a downloadable diagram of the semi guns. But, it is very unlikely that any of the lower parts are worn out as you say. I had a 3 digit semi gun and I ran over 10,000 rounds out of it in about 3 years and never had a problem. As Lionheart says if your fishing for a conversion to make it run f/a, your fishing for big trouble. And just as a side note, a f/a lower will not fit on a semi upper. Bolts won't interchange and all that. If by chance a part in the lower is broke, that it to your local gunsmith and he can take it apart very carefully and put it back with the springs in the right places.

tom1263,

Gunparts should be able to assist with replacement parts. There are some parts that are differant between the AO and the Kahr 27's. One example is the bolt and firing pin.

When I purchased my Kahr it came with manuals for both models.

Crow, I wasn't aware the Bolts produced by Kahr were any different than what WH was manufacturing. It is true however, that when the 1927A1 was first introduced, the Bolts were modified M1 TSMG Bolts. However, WH stopped doing so in the late 1970's. The Bolts thereafter have always been the same. At least I haven't noticed any change between a WH Bolt VS a Karh Bolt. Could you explain? Indeed, there are two different styles of Firing Pin. Edited by LIONHART

Boy, you guys are good. I read the post was ready to offer some info, but then read the replies and it does sound a bit strange. Parts on a semi worn out http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/dry.gif Parts on my full auto are not worn. Come to think of it, my .22 has about 20,000 rounds and no parts are worn.

Devlin, you are on target when you said the firing pins were different- you are no doubt aware of the rectangular cross section of the WH pin, requiring a rectangular hole in the breech face. The round Kahr pin requires a bolt with a round hole. Otherwise, they are basically the same.

Exactly PK, I also found well at least when measuring the 2 different bolts that the older WH is a tad shorter top to bottom.

I would think that the older style bolt/firing pin might hold up better.

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif I never noticed. I guess all of us learn something new everyday here! Edited by LIONHART

Delvin, PK,

Hmmmmmmmm, another mystery perhaps addressed!

When I bought my West Hurley 27-mid 70's, I was allways curious about why the bolt was pitted

on a "new" gun directly from the factory. I just thought that perhaps it was cast and these were the telltale air bells

prevelant in cheap work or something. But it allways had the look and feel of a part that was not new...

PK, is that an M1 bolt in my Westy? That would be nice, to go along with my half Lyman sight!

Cheerio, Zamm

P.S. I have to agree, the starting post of this thread sure looks like a fishing trip.

im not very smart about thompsons, mainly because i dont own one - but how would seeing diagrams of a lower help u get info to make a full auto?

are the full auto lowers different - i think i remember someone on here saying u can use lowers from FA parts kits on the west hurley and kahr semi autos

Zamm, I don’t remember your particular bolt (they all look the same after a while) http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif , but you can spot an early reworked GI bolt as the bottom of the FA sear notches are usually visible, not being entirely removed when the bottom was machined away .100 to allow the bolt to fit the SA receiver.

The FA lowers can be adapted to the SA guns, but they are not interchangeable outright. Little in the actual fire control system is the same between the SA and FA guns.

Thanks PK,

Will have a look next time I strip it.

Zamm