Sten Mk2 Best Place to Grab a Parts Kit?

anyone buy a parts kit lately for a sten mk2?

barrels? mags?

just curious where the best quality kit is?

i see what a country has them....im considering buying a repro barrel since barrels arent easy to find

BRP has some parts NIB

i just grabbed the one off sturm that was listed a couple weeks ago

just ask in a wtb section of some of the better forums.

People are sitting on a lot of stuff and if they know you're serious they'll offer something nice up VS themselves trying to sell stuff and getting lowballed/tirekicked.

grabbed a full parts kit + barrel and new spring set from lee tool...$325 shipped....finding a real barrel for a sten in good shape might be $325 alone from what ive been seeing....they are all gone!!!....

still need some mags though....BRP has them for $30 each and pic is great....hoping to find them cheaper though..

Please consider APEX Gun Parts for your STEN Mark 2 needs:

https://www.apexgunparts.com/machine-guns/sub-machine-guns/sten/sten-mark-2.html

We will be restocking parts from the warehouse soon.

I still have plenty of kits, and have more of the new barrels on order.

Also, our bayonets for the STEN Mark 2 are the real issued item.

Richard

Sten_Mk2.jpg

Edited by APEXgunparts

looking for 10 good/excellent mags....desertfox.com has them for a decent price....$19.99...i dont need beauty queen mags, but i also dont want junk....quality goes up in value, junk becomes worthless......watched a video on how to convert the $8 mags....and have a $8 mag full of holes when im done...

its like they are $500 each mike a mp43......its $20 vs $30.....

hoping someone has bought some recently that were nice and can point me to who they are from...

Edited by huggytree

Sten parts are everywhere, but in reality the value is so low a lot of people don't want to mess with selling and shipping them....or even packing them for a gun show. There is no shortage of original sten barrels and the new made ones usually have some new feature added like threading, contour, etc. that make them special so they bring a bit of a premium. I see kits sit at shows for $200, mags at $15 don't sell. If you are paying more, you're the only one?
I prefer the loop stock to any others and I can't see a "folder" adding anything to the gun in terms of convenience or ergonomics. When would you ever fold it other than maybe for storage? You can just slide off the original in a few seconds? The only other nice ergonomic addition is a MK5 setup with the front grip or the Austen

As to mags, clean them inside and out, buy the magazine gauge and you'll likely never have any frustration. Look for "lot" sales. I think the last lot I bought was 40 and they were 7-8 bucks IIRC. Again, no one wants to sell 3 mags and have to ship them. Every gun show has sten mags.....even Waukesha. Rarely does anyone buy them so prices are often negotiable. HTH

I wasnt gonna get involved huggyram but these two pics are the most important to Sten ownership in corolation to mags. First pic if you can find one set the other is making sure the bullet is at 8°

post-258159-0-91003200-1531016334_thumb.jpeg

post-258159-0-07813400-1531016388_thumb.jpeg

parts kits i agree are everywhere....i dont see the barrels though...i felt fortunate to find one....this is looking for 2 days though.....

as for the mags...all that seems left are junk..most advertised as poor....there's 10 of them on GB right now selling for $14.5 each with a day or 2 left to the auction.

its such a common gun...id think there would be 10+ companies selling the mags....i think i can find 3....2 of which dont describe the condition..only a pic of a brand new looking mag which i doubt is correct

thanks for the pics Hal...i am hoping i can send you my mags to adjust in exchange for that barrel nut i got for you once....i think you have 10-15 IOU's from that to adjust 10-15 mags eh?

gun comes with 4...and video's show them running...so ill have some to start with that work at least

Edited by huggytree

Hawksnest is a good guy. Be nice to him dave!!! Theres a lot to learn about stens. Stamped parts, milled parts etc.... Take a deep breathe and learn all you can. There not as simple as you think. A lot can go wrong. I wasnt gonna help you but for new barrels go to Stenparts.com. Walter makes nice parts including barrel threading(if you ask him nicely)!! I have found Apex has some of the nicer parts kits for $180ish. If your paying $300 your being robbed unles the kits are saw cut?? Things to look for. Make sure the rear is welded inside the tube when you take out the spring cap you will see a small weld. Lots of times there not and will break at that point. Make sure the sear goes all the way down when you pull the trigger. Dont rely on the Barrel ratchet mechanism. Tighten it hand tighten then engage the ratchet. Otherwise you can strip the teeth out on the barrel nut. Buy a complete Sten spring set from stenparts. Stick with them. They make some nice stuff cheap and there local to me.

Apex sten kit is $202 and no barrel

https://www.apexgunparts.com/sten-mk2-smg-parts-set-w-skeleton-stock-9mm-luger.html

i paid $325 shipped for kit w/ original barrel and spare new spring set

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1234-wwii-british-mkii-sten-parts-set-original-wwii-barrell-325-delivered/

Hal, when i get my sten i might give you a call to go over things/details....i know nothing about it...

sounds like it ratchets like a UZI...and i know to also not let the uzi make ratchet noise while tightening the barrel...good tip..thanks!

its a good clean gun....im hoping original Stemple finish and that it hasnt been messed with much....

XM0yIaQ.jpg

VeY5W2h.jpg

p4iKhsZ.jpg

7WZDgHk.jpg

bgG61qp.jpg

3p12pks.jpg

DyZZAmd.jpg

6igZqLF.jpg

Zj9C7cC.jpg

Edited by huggytree

This is the gauge you want. The mandrel is nice to have if you want to work on them, but without the gauge it could be a waste of time? Or you just wing it since all the sten mags I've tried out of my stash are just fine, even some that look ratty. They are actually rather durable and guys that report problems often have a "gun" problem, not necessarily a mag issue.

20180708_0828421.jpg

ive seen a few posts about mk2's having a stepped barrel

i also noticed what appears to be recent welds or cold blue on at least one of the welds....reparking the gun is in the budget at the price i paid....i also know a welder who's welds look like a machine did it...so if i need to redo that weld its $20

define what you see wrong with it?

From pics it looks like your barrel bushing is silver soldered on and not welded(too large a gap) I dont see any welds on the top of the tube that attaches to the trigger frame unless there tremendously grounded down. Just saying. Have it gone through. Im not commenting anymore because you get very confrontational because you dont want to listen. Good luck buddy. You will love your Sten. FYI send your pics to Andrewski and ask him if it all looks ok? Just food for thought. Later

i see some slop around the back of the tube...i know typically this is a large L shape weld....ill look at it in person closer......maybe stemple just cleaned up the slop toha make it look nicer than other Stens....not educated enough to know

my uzi back plate welds are completely cracked off...so i know how important this area is....when i blow up the pic it looks like i can see a gap there..so maybe the weld is cracked already....

Edited by huggytree

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/776675006

heres one that sold for a few hundred more than i paid...lots of welds....i compared my gun to this one when making my decision..this one was my backup....didnt sell for very much....

If i have concerns i will contact Andrewski to have a look....i know he knows them...

i can see a tack weld on each side of the back plate and think i can see one at the top....i do not have a top view pic to see how that weld looks...the way i look at it is if its lasted 35 years and the welds arent cracked its GTG......Stemple maybe wasnt a A+ gun maker...but i dont see anything bad written about his work either....w/o him there wouldnt be 1000+ more machine guns...

im still curious why the welds on the sides have a blue look to them though...i wondered if its just the photography as the body of the gun would be bead blasted and the welds less so...maybe in person it looks less noticeable....or its a repair...all was taken into account with my offer

Please dont take this the wrong way but there is something not right about this gun. Take it from some one who owns a rare Mk1, 3 Faz Mk2, a Long Branch Mk2, A Mk3 And a Mk5. Its been made to Mk4 dimensions and not Mk2, if you look at the cocking slot you can see its very short, the trigger mech cover finishes under the mag well cover whereas the Mk2 finishes about a 1/2 behind cover. This means you cant rotate the mag housing to the vertical without removing the cover. Even the Mk5 cover was shortened for this reason. Has the origin of this gun been verified?

Good luck!!!! I have been telling this clown the same thing. There is a ton of odd things going on with it but trust me. Whatever you tell him he doesnt believe or he thinks he knows better!!!Maybe you will have better luck with dave. Good luck!!!!

Please dont take this the wrong way but there is something not right about this gun. Take it from some one who owns a rare Mk1, 3 Faz Mk2, a Long Branch Mk2, A Mk3 And a Mk5. Its been made to Mk4 dimensions and not Mk2, if you look at the cocking slot you can see its very short, the trigger mech cover finishes under the mag well cover whereas the Mk2 finishes about a 1/2 behind cover. This means you cant rotate the mag housing to the vertical without removing the cover. Even the Mk5 cover was shortened for this reason. Has the origin of this gun been verified?

m3bobby....i can see what your talking about.....the tube is short....odd

sounds like its going to be Efiled so i may have it next week to take some better pics of

link to the original ad on sturm(i did not pay full price)

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10921-wts-transferable-sten-mkii-7100/

Edited by huggytree

Nope!!!! Not messing with you!! Just hard to get threw to you so I give up.It really doesnt matter what anyone ever tells you cause your mind is already made up before you even post your topic! You need to be more patient, open minded and willing to make changes!! Good luck buddy.

m3bobby....i can see what your talking about.....the tube is short....odd

its a Stemple and it runs...thats all i know....those are the 2 things i bought it based on

Komodoj---maybe its just you i ignore and know better as you mess with my head for fun

sounds like its going to be Efiled so i may have it next week to take some better pics of

link to the original ad on sturm(i did not pay full price)

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10921-wts-transferable-sten-mkii-7100/

anyone else with a Stemple Sten?

i compared it by overlaping pictures on my computer and my tube is definitely shorter...its shorter in the cocking slot....

curious if any other Stemple stens have this? i would assume its something about how stemple made his sten....

maybe to save 10 cents in pipe material