• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There are many variations but using the standard trench mount, the one above shows 'legs' attached. Unit armourers made these and some were very elaborate! The being mobility and stability.

post-262823-0-53070000-1616476311_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been fascinated about the subject of 'war trophies' or bring backs etc from WWI. My limited research shows that UK/Commonwealth countries allowed Regimental trophies to be brought back to the victorious countries, this was the bulk of UK bring backs anyway. Some UK individuals were allowed but mainly landed gentry or key position individuals, and some indeed were presented to schools, memorials, councils etc. Those that did go to 'public institutions' were subsequently melted down for the WWII war effort under threat of invasion/spitfire production. This included British WWI tanks! Many Australian and New Zealand war trophy MGs were also 'used' in WWII, converted to .303 under threat of Japanese invasion. It also seems the Canadians win the prize for who took back the most capture MGs to the homeland.

However the point is I have read somewhere that an official US unit was formed who were specifically charged with collecting all sorts of wpns, including MGs, to take back to the States for inspection/study. Does anybody know the details of this 'very advanced collector' and the history of this task? Commanded by Springfield Armoury? Or museum initiated?

Thanks

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Still hoping someone has the US details. It would be really interesting to see if there are any inventory/lists of what this team took back to the States.

post-262823-0-98099600-1637987043_thumb.jpg