I was doing some online research regarding Marines in Nicaragua this weekend and came upon two Thompson serial numbers. These were two of three Thompsons lost to Sandinos rebels in a mutiny that occured on April 4, 1932 at a Guardia Nacional outpost where a USMC Lt. was killed with one of the Thompsons . They were listed by serial number in documents related to subsequent court proceedings. The third gun was not listed for some reason. Also taken were a 1918 BAR, serial number 65105 and 1917 Browning machine gun, serial number 146849.

The two Thompsons noted were #5219 and #5029. I don't have a copy of Gordon's book and don't know if those numbers are included. Just thought they should be added here before I lose them in my disorganized papers. I'd like to hear any more information that is known on these two pieces. It's unclear from my research at this point if they were ever recovered from the rebels.

• Upvote 2

Richard,

Great information and thank you. A minor correction, though....the lower number gun should be 5029, not 5209.

The other gun, number 5219, seems well documented and confirmed to be recaptured from the rebels at some point considering it was imported to the U.S. by Interarmco in 1957. It would be great to know if it still exists and is in collectors hands in America. It probably wouldn't be in the condition most collectors seek after a hard life with the Marines, Sandios rebels, and the Nicaraguan Army, but a real piece of history. Can't think of many other Thompsons I'd rather own.

Ooops, I need to get an eye test, been a while due to Covid restrictions over here, everything has been closed.

Here you go for 5029, from two pages.

P1140056.JPG

P1140057.JPG

Keep smiling

Richard