Colt Monitors Photo

A Facebook group named St. Paul Yesterday had the following post about an establishment just outside city limits. The story has nothing to do with Monitors, but the included photo has a very interesting photo showing the involved Sheriff with two of them and a magazine belt. I have not seen many photos with a belt being worn. I wonder if the agency owned these or if the picture was taken at FBI training. I will be researching, I have a few contacts at the present day agency.

Here is the pasted post:

Neal Bond shared a link on March 3 2021 which mentioned the Swing City area of Saint Paul. This made me curious as I had never heard of it. The area in question is the north side of Larpenteur Avenue and Rice street. In particular the north west and north east corners. Todays story is on 1682 Rice street which is the north east corner. Until 1936 the location was an auto garage operated by Harry Quatman. In 1936 he changed the business to a tavern called the City Limits as the north side of Larpenteur was outside the city limits of Saint Paul and was under the jurisdiction of the Ramsey County Sheriff. A recurring pattern at these locations was raids by the Sheriff for selling alcohol to minors, selling alcohol while only having a beer license, or selling on Sundays. Conviction usually involved a fine and a revocation of the liquor license. About 1938 the City Limits tavern lost their license and under new ownership it became Swing City. It was known for its jazz musicians and attracted fans from all over the Twin Cities. Young musicians would come to Swing City to learn from more experienced musicians. In 1942 Swing City would lose its liquor license and it became Frank and Marie's tavern. It would then become the Lakeside Inn (the location is very close to Lake McCarron).

On Sunday September 8 1946 about 0100 3 men started an argument at the Lakeside Inn and at an apparently arranged signal two cars full of men began to throw rocks through the windows and others entered the club with blackjacks. Injured in the crossfire of flying bottles and broken chairs was Jess Gilbert , Frank Lendway, Mrs. Marcella Smith and Mrs. Grace Teply. The instigators left before Ramsey County deputies arrived.

Ramsey County Sheriff Thomas "Tommy" Gibbons met with the owners on Monday September 9 1946.

End of part I

Photo Ramsey County Sheriff Tommy Gibbons Minnesota Historical Society photo.

post-259538-0-86551400-1616939809_thumb.jpg

Edited by nate129

I guess there is no way to now if the guns actually exist today?

Most likely destroyed over the years, a government thing similar to what

the FBI did.

Darryl

If I was doing research or interested in buying another one, I would.

Thanks,

Darryl

I have been in touch with a few folks from the agency. One was an armorer beginning in 1980 and he told me these were not in the armory then. I have a feeling this photo was taken at FBI training or a supported event. Sources seem to indicate only around 35 of these going to state/local agencies (I believe Hans suspects that figure is low) so Ramsey County getting two seems unlikely? The original photo credit seems to go to a newspaper so perhaps the accompanying article can be located in archives to see what the caption or story was. St. Paul Dispatch, 1936, search for any articles mentioning the Sheriff by name? Edited by nate129

Dan,

I've moved into another hobby of earlier years. I'm restoring a muscle car.

One that I bought new in 1973, a Transam 455SD. It was a honeymoon car.

Darrylta = Trans Am.

Guns as a hobby is a lot easier on the body than laying on a cold concrete floor

with a transmission on your chest.

I'll try to get the case tracing to you this weekend.

Thanks,

Darryl

Dan,

Looking good, do you any of these in your possession?

Darryl