1919A4 on Colt M35 Tripod - Fit?

Hi All,

I've an old 1919A4 by Inland Arms and one of the M35 Colt tripods. Should these two fit together? Mine do not. I'm not sure if when Inland build the 1919 there are dimensional issues or if the M35 tripod just doesn't fit 1919's. It seems the front lower corner of the 1919 strikes the central bronze casting about .08" before I can slip the front pin into position. I'd hate to take the mill to the tripod. I could put the 1919 in the mill and chamfer the lower front edge a bit (but I hate carving up guns even if it is a sideplate gun). The Inland 1919 appears to be pretty much USGI 30 US configured :( Was hoping to run some 308 in it but I'm not sure I want to mill back the right rear spacer.

If anyone else has experienced the M35/1919 fitment issue I'm interested in how it was resolved.

Thanks,

Grasshopper

Tried my M37 and it fit. (too lazy to dismantle one of the 1919's and try it) Pins are extremely tight, but everything is brand new and the pins have some paint on them. Been a while since I've had that M35 out, but wow that thing is very heavy. I'd carve on either one of those, but the tripod would be my first choice since they are not that desirable and the colt guns not that popular. Once you go M74, you never go back! HTH

Hi johnsonlmg41,

Thanks! Not many folks out there that handle this hardware that are willing to give it a try. From what I can tell gravity is getting stronger every year :)

I've an additional M35 tripod. I'll check the bronze casting on it to see if it is as "fat" in the interfering area. If no go I'll spend a little quality time on the mill with the casting.

Grasshopper

I sold an M35 tripod to a friend and his would not fit either. Not sure what side plate was on his 1919. The tripod worked fine with both my 17a1s . I had to relieve the tripod a bit in order for the gun to drop in place. I cant recall exactly where it hit but a few minutes with a file and I got it to work. They are a heavy tripod for sure

Hi All,

I worked on the fitting last night w/o success. I figure to work slowly as material doesn't grow back. If I assemble the gun to the tripod with the muzzle pointing downward w/o the rear elevation pin the front pin goes right in. Assembled this way you can't raise up the muzzle as the lower front of the receiver hits the bronze casting.

I tried some parts from different parts kits and they all fit. I'm sure it is my sideplate gun that isn't quite right.

As it sits right now with the gun level in the cradle and pushed forward up against the bronze casting (w/o the front pin), the rear pin does not line-up. The gun seems to be a bit long.

I've got a second M35 out in the shop in "barn find" condition. I'll check to see if the casting on it gives me better clearance.

Thanks to all so far,

Grasshopper

ps. Can you put an ANM2-30 on this mount? Figure I'd ask before dragging it out.

To get the back pin to go in you might try raising the elevation all the way up, then the pin and bar will be above the slots in the side plates of the tripod allowing you to move it forward and back to line up with the rear hole in the receiver very easy. Once the rear pin is in you can back it down into the slots (hopefully it clears and goes back down)

I thought the hole spacing on the ANM2 was the same.....but I sold that years ago so I don't remember? At least it's lighter!!