Group Industries BAR

Crazy prices!
I was ready to buy a Group Industries BAR...then 1986 happened and suddenly I couldn't afford it.

Wasn't Group Industries from Louisville, KY?
It seems I met a man named Atchley back in the early 80's who was part of it. Some guys who used to work at International Harvester as I recall.

yes Louisville, General Electric IIRC

crazy prices? Government handing out checks to illegals and prisoners on death row, dudes playing on girls teams and joining them in the shower, soldiers in skirts with junk in the skirt.

I'm not sure crazy is a term any longer and if so I would not be able to provide an example any more if the above items are now "normal"?

Edited by johnsonlmg41

Add in the sales tax that GB now has to impose and you're looking at something north of $35K. I've seen several "real" BARs were going for that kind of money not so very long ago. I would have expected this one to go for $26-28K, not $35. So is this sale an aberration or have BAR prices taken off? I'm not seeing TSMG prices getting stupid nor are those for most other NFA stuff. There are even a few bargains if you look hard enough; it seems like a lot of people are in a holding pattern.

I've had some nice offers for items in my collection lately. I'd say to make the effort to buy or sell directly, avoiding sales taxes, commissions, and buyer's premiums.

The whole sales tax thing is going to kill GB's current business model. On high dollar items like SMGs we're going to see more listings where the buyer opens a back channel to the seller and buys the gun behind GB's back. That means no more commissions for GB. That is obviously not a sustainable model. GB is going to have to increase their listing fees to compensate or add a cancellation charge for listings that are ended before the expiration date. That is going to drive a lot of business elsewhere.

I have a BAR and have no interest in selling it. But I wonder how many BARs are for sale now, anywhere? If you really wanted one and had the money, how many alternatives are there? I have been watching prices on NFA items, and altho I see some fluctuations, the trend is prices going up and no new supplies. So in a few years, people might be saying "I remember the good old days, when you could get a BAR for under $40,000".