PPSH-41 in 9mm question

It will work as is just need to get the barrel fitted to the receiver. Sometimes you have to fit it in the trunnion and muzzle of barrel area. The pin slot also usually needs to be cut or modified a bit

You can use the 7.62 drums and stick mags . Drums are a bit finicky and you have to try a few usually to get one that runs 9mm consistently. I have a yugo made one that works the best for me. I shoot a lot out of Mp40 mags with the adapter as well

I have a reproduction german Mag adapter, mp 40 mag and 9mm ppsh barrel for sale on sturm if anyone's interested.

I hope it OK to post this here, if not the administrator can delete! This is a great board that I have learned many interesting things from.

They run way faster in 7.62 but its way more expensive unless you can find that new made red army steel case stuff. Stay away from most of surplus as its super hot and will damage your gun. I have some Chinese surplus that is great and also had romanian that worked good. Prvi and S&B are great new made ammo but pricy. 9mm works good and is way cheaper when things are normal

I am glad I bought 10 cases of the Rommy 7.62X25 for my Ppsh 41 when it was super cheap. I've only shot my gun with drums even though I have some mags for it, just have not gotten a loader for them.

Bulgarian stuff I had was horrible. Super hot and actually started to damage the back of my lower. Empties ejected about 20 feet in the air and rate of fire was way too fast. Ended up tossing about 500 rounds in the trash. Romanian is good but the rate of fire seemed to go up and down a bit. It works well though and is not harsh. Its corrosive so clean accordingly. The best I had was Chinese surplus runs awesome but only ever found one can of it

Not sure on the yugo ammo but i remember reading about the old surplus ammo is so old and the components used to manufacture were poor and it actually has gotten more potent with age. Do some research and you should be able to find the articles on the net about it. Bottom line stay with good ammo much safer for you and your gun

FWIW 7.63 Mauser ammo is dimensionally interchangeable with 7.62 Tokarev but the Mauser is only loaded to 36,625 PSI vs. 36,260 for the Tokarev. If it's hot enough to cycle your gun it might do a little less wear and tear

Edited by StrangeRanger

• 3 weeks later...

There is Russian surplus out there in green 50 rd boxes. This stuff came in back in the late 80s/ early 90s. we found it to be very hot, and while I don't think it really beat the gun up it took a week for empty cases to come back down after firing.

• 9 months later...

I've run all kinds of surplus (i.e. hard primer/east block/SMG ammo designed for PPSH's/PPS's) and never had an issue. The great thing about PPSH's is that you can replace the buffer anytime, and the open bolt design makes safe any potential overpressure situations and the bolt blowback design negates any explosive pressure being reached.