build a BAR

Hi Jim C, I really don't think there is a financial advantage to build over buy. From what I've read, OOW puts out a very nice gun. If I was charging myself shoptime, I have over 80 hours in mine and I'm not done yet. A parts kit is 2 to $3000.00 and up depending on completeness. Most won't have a rebuildable receiver, so $950.00 for a Philly Ord when they do them again, and you still have to finish it. Or you could scratch build one for a real challenge. Joe H helped point me in the right direction and has a wealth of information he was willing to share. Parts are available but getting pricier. The other thing is when you go to sell. The OOW has appreciated and any FFL will handle the sale. I will probably demil mine and sell it as parts due to the liability of me being the maker. Sorry for rambling on. Hope this helps

Edited by damifino

Dam,

Thanks for replying.

You certainly presented an overwhelming case for buying an OOW gun.

Why would anyone even consider doing otherwise.

I bought a OOW gun in 2013 and its a real peach of a gun.

When I get older, I plan on selling it for a profit.

Jim C

Dam,

Thanks for replying.

You certainly presented an overwhelming case for buying an OOW gun.

Why would anyone even consider doing otherwise.

I bought a OOW gun in 2013 and its a real peach of a gun.

When I get older, I plan on selling it for a profit.

Jim C

Jim ... You really don't have to wait ... I bought two of them and sold one for double the original purchase price of $4300.00 from OOW. I'm getting so old I can't hardly heft one to shoot it.

Hi Jim C, as a hobby I like building them as much or more than I do shooting them. It is a challenge that I enjoy, makes use of my skills and equipment, and gets me out in the shop to play. A 1919A4/A6, an MG34 and 42, a Bren Mk3, the BAR, and six more bucket list parts kit guns sitting under the bench, that I want to build just as much as I want to own and shoot.

Hi jl7422, Is OOW still making A3 semi receivers?

I picked up one of the OOW 1918A3s last fall that was unfired. Came with everything except the hard case. Gun even had the upgraded wood on it for a total of $4,900. I sold it this spring on 1919forum for $6,500 to help fund my pre sample NESA 1918A2 BAR

• 2 weeks later...

I finished my IBM BAR today. I still may need to fiddle with the gas regulator, I was told I would need to drill it larger, but wanted to wait and see how it ran. The first 20 rounds, 4 stove pipes with one failure to pick up a round and it only throws the empties 2 feet. I could not be happier with this build. A big thank you to JoeH for his help and insight on the BAR. And to others on another forum for their knowledge and support. This gun is a dream to shoot and I still can't stop smiling.

20210814-173616.jpg
20210814-173654.jpg
P8140855.jpg
P8140859.jpg
P8140860.jpg
Edited by damifino

• 3 weeks later...