Maxim Silencer...?

A close friend of mine has been charged with seeing to the effects of a deceased uncle. He came across this curiosity. I wanted to run it past the group here for any insight. All he says he can see on it is: MAXIM CER CAL MOD 1923 PATENTS PENDING MAX...SIL...ER CO HARTFORD...USA Further he says of the tube: In large red letters "With coupling cap and tool" and "To_______________" And small green letters "Winchester" and "Stevens". There is more text but it is illegible. He says there is a design or letters at the top of the faded tube label also in green. There is no stamp. There is also text that might read: "Rem Model 12A". It's well worn. I know very little about Maxim silencers. Caliber? Registered NFA? Contraband? He has no idea where it came from. I think he even Googled the paper container to discover what it was. R

IMG_20210826_172551.jpg IMG_20210826_172555.jpg IMG_20210826_172605.jpg IMG_20210826_172600.jpg

IMG_20210828_103540.jpg

IMG_20210828_103554.jpg

IMG_20210828_103545.jpg

IMG_20210828_103600.jpg

IMG_20210828_103549.jpg

the original mailing tubes are quite scarce,,, any IRS number stamped on it ? the baffles appear to have a projectial strike on them, the breech end appears to have some kind of after market to adapt on what ? best it go back to sleep for another 100 years,,just thinking

• Upvote 1

That would need to be registered with ATF to be legally possessed. If it doesn't have a serial number it was probably not ever registered. If it was registered in the 1968 Amnesty it probably would have been assigned a serial number that started with the letters IRS. If it was registered via a form 1 before then the person registering it could have selected the number to mark on it. So check the tube for markings. When it was made and sold (before the NFA law existed) they were sold via mail order or as an over the counter accessory. They did not have a serial number and none was required. But the NFA required everything registered have a number. If it has no number and you find no registration paperwork in the owner's stuff it is very probable it was not registered.

Even if the silencer is not registered and thus contraband, the tube and any other packaging is not illegal and is collectible.

Pretending you made it, and trying to register it now via a current Form 1, it not legal and in my opinion is a bad idea.

James

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the responses. I went back up and edited the OP to include more information from the tube itself and some more images. No IRS number or stamp on it. I'm sure it was legally purchased in the 20's and handed down, down, down...

Can you all think of any other site I could share the info with to get even more information? Any Maxxim experts left in the world? It has no use to him obviously, but I understand the nature of the beast as it is... R

Model 1923 was a 22 caliber silencer (term used by Maxim not me) and its shown in a copy of the catalog I have. That makes sense based on the Remington 12a also being 22. Im not sure what the barrel end looks like, but the rod is likely the assembling rod (to hold all the baffles in place for assembly). Not sure if the brass part is part of the attachment mount or a separate part. Are better pics available for that end? They do not show pictures of all the gun couplings, but a Coupling A was used for the Remington 12A among many other 22s

As to what to do, youll need to know if its registered, if not thats a problem. Agreed is should be preserved, but just like any NFA item, be sure to know your options

Ron

years ago ive seen old collectible silincers that were very carefully cut in half the long way and all the loose parts carefully super glued in ,,nice display pieces but i dont know if its legal now,,, at one time some guy in canada was selling a really nice repoof the silencer for the 1903 springfield, he split them in half and sent them into us that way, but havent seen or heard of one in years,, just sayn

• 2 weeks later...

My Maxim pal sent me a few more images for the record. He's considering "carving out" a section of the tube and turning it into a neat display piece. I guess this would essentially demil the silencer? It would leave the baffles intact. Anyway, more pics...

IMG_20210906_182313.jpg

IMG_20210906_182336.jpg

IMG_20210906_182341.jpg

IMG_20210906_182325.jpg

IMG_20210906_182331.jpg

Some drawings and descriptive language of the silencer and assembly/disassembly tool shown can be found in U.S. Patent No. 1,482,805. For some reason I'm not able to enter a hot link, but the patent can be found on the USPTO website or via a Google search.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with or financial interest in any vendor or manufacturer; and I am not a competitive shooter or a blogger who receives any form of compensation for endorsements or favorable public or private comments. Use of vendor and/or product brand names, if any, is for informational purposes only.
Best of luck.
MHO, YMMV, etc. Be well.

• 1 month later...

the original mailing tubes are quite scarce,,, any IRS number stamped on it ? the baffles appear to have a projectial strike on them, the breech end appears to have some kind of after market to adapt on what ? best it go back to sleep for another 100 years,,just thinking

Those are what the Maxim 1923 baffles look like. They have not had a projectile strike.