Opinion on "XM177 E2" Sling

I bought a bag of slings from Simpson Ltd. a couple of months ago because I saw the sling below included in the bunch. I didn't have much to go by, with only one photo of the lot of slings, which are mostly former com bloc slings.

The sling in question does not require hardware, as it has velcro on each end. (In the photo, the sling has the velcro ends closed.) It is embroidered "XM177 E2," in gold lettering. The sling is fairly dirty, and has definitely been used. My initial thought from the Simpson photo was that this might be something special, perhaps something from Colt back in the 60's, but it could just as well be a sling that someone made up. I'm posting it here for your opinions.

As an FYI, Velcro was patented in 1958.

IMG_8442.jpg

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Quite possible. A number of “field expedient “ slings were used in theater, for the XM177’s as well as the full size M-16.One popular sling for the XM’s was a general purpose strap that was tied to the front sight and top of the collapsible stock to allow for a more ready carry position. Cheap and handy. It’s the rig I made for my clone.

Not sure why a theatre made sling would need to be embroidered. Gold embroidery seems to be an odd choice of color for any sling to be used in service. Not sure why the sling would need to be embroidered specifying what firearm it was for. I am thinking it is a civilian collector creation.

I dont own a XM 177 nor spent any time researching them. Just

I pretty much agree, it's probably a civilian collector creation. Here is pic of what I believe was more of the standard field used sling. I'm sure that there were many types of slings used in Nam, but luckily I wasn't there to see them. While velcro was around since the late 50's, I don't recall seeing it's appearance in very many products until the early 70's

Colt.jpg

Not only have I never one like that, it would have been marked with a stamp, not embroidered. Also have never seen any military marking done vertically. Photos I've researched over the years have mainly been parachute chord, rigger straps, combloc etc. No vietnam vets I served with had anything like that. (I was post vietnam). Spent alot of time with special forces units, including SEALs, SF, and Marine Recon. Looks like a REMF clerk typist version...

I pretty much agree, it's probably a civilian collector creation. Here is pic of what I believe was more of the standard field used sling. I'm sure that there were many types of slings used in Nam, but luckily I wasn't there to see them. While velcro was around since the late 50's, I don't recall seeing it's appearance in very many products until the early 70's

This is exactly what I was talking about, a utility strap attached to the front sight assembly and rear stock by ties.